Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Name for my Business

Niko M · 2018-05-23 00:24

Hello All, I'm new to the whole "Heavy Equipment Forum" but I have a feeling you might be able to help me. I'm having a hard time coming up with a name for my business that I'm Starting. It'll Be a group with separate companies and a parent organization just like Yannuzzi Group out of NJ. I'm been doing research and a lot of business names are last names ie. Testa Corp., My Last name is Markanovic but I don't know if that sounds right. Can anyone offer any advice?

Replies38
  1. #1Welder Dave2018-05-23 01:57

    What type of business? Markanovic Mechanical???

  2. #2thepumpguysc2018-05-23 04:10

    Do you have a "nickname"?? What about "Mar-Co".. BUT>> THAT doesn't tell anyone WHAT you DO.. & THATS important..

  3. #3Vetech632018-05-23 06:25

    That would be nice to know.

  4. #4Tones2018-05-23 07:27

    The name of my business Is CTC Mulching. The CTC is Cut The Crap, cause that what I do all the way around.

  5. #5Niko M2018-05-23 08:58

    My name is Nikola Markanovic It will be a business that does demoltion & enviromental remidiation (asbestos, lead, mold etc.)

  6. #6Wes J2018-05-23 15:55

    Don't worry too much about it. I've dealt with many companies that just used the owner's name. "John Doe Trucking", "Jane Doe Farms". I also would not stress much about folks not knowing what you do. Lots of businesses do all kinds of things not in any way related to their names. For example, I had some landscape work done by a company called "precision machining". When people see the dump truck and the track loader, they pretty much figure out what he's doing. I would avoid initials unless you are setting up a shell company to launder money. I used to drive by a factory and the sign outside basically said "ABC Inc, an XYZ company". That place could have made anything from hand grenades to cat pajamas. You sure would never know by looking at the sign. But, that's often deliberate. These medium and large companies get hounded constantly by blood thirsty salesmen. Also, if you decide you don't like it, you can change it. It's pretty easy.

  7. #7Tones2018-05-23 18:18

    A mate of mine's business name is P.M.S. ( Practical Mulching Solutions). The initials are very appt cause he's a grumpy bugger.

  8. #8crane operator2018-05-23 18:32

    Hunds M. Urmuny Corp. Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe Unlimited. Big Hole Drilling- "your hole is our goal" I. C. Change Oder Incorporated- "Building our future with your money". Well Hung Drywall- "Call us- or screw it up yourself" Lenny's Backhoe- " We drag a hoe wherever we go"

  9. #9Bls repair2018-05-25 11:56

    Worked for a Plummer named Sgt. Snake Plumming.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2018-05-25 12:06

    "Building OUR FUTURE"..LOL Reminds me of the place I worked.. VERY BAD diagnostic skilled mechanics.. I used to say>> "We'll fix your boat, if it takes every cent you've got".. OR>> "We're not happy until your not happy".. Lol

  11. #11JD88752018-05-26 20:48

    I'm Diggin and Dumpin Excavating- but I do all sorts of things dirt related from utilities, septics, driveways, clearing, mowing. John

  12. #12missjeriblue2018-05-28 10:11

    mar-vic, marcan, n.m. mechanical?

  13. #13Welder Dave2018-05-28 23:33

    Mardem Environmental. Marko Demolition.

  14. #14Buckethead2018-06-22 21:30

    Miracle Remediation. "If it's a good remediation-It's A Miracle". I'm here all week.

  15. #15Buckethead2018-06-22 22:01

    Mr. Nikola's House of Demolition and Asbestos, Lead, and Mold Remediation, Inc.

  16. #16John Shipp2018-06-24 05:04

    MARKANOVIC Demolition & Environmental Remediation Company, Inc I just know I would end up choosing something like this, when really I'm after: DEVILS' CREEK Demolition Or PEACE RIVER VALLEY Asbestos & Waste Disposal Inc.

  17. #17GregsHD2018-06-24 14:12

    Knew a guy that built portable sawmills in the 90's, his business was named FGM, I'm sure most people didn't know what that stood for but it was a F@#kin' Good Mill lol

  18. #18Welder Dave2018-06-25 00:03

    They issued license plates here several years ago with NFG prefix . I was never issued one but wouldn't have accepted it. I worked in fabrication shops and NFG was what they wrote on something that was messed up and couldn't be used.

  19. #19still learn'n2018-06-25 00:18

    I'm probably different but I wouldn't name my business with anything to do with my name. If you ever do sell the business what happens then.

  20. #20thepumpguysc2018-06-25 05:45

    No ****ing Good.. Lol

  21. #21Wes J2018-06-25 13:15

    The new owner renames the business and carries on like nothing happened. They have to start over from a legal perspective anyway, so it's no big deal to change the name. We're talking about a small business here. Outside of Silicon Valley, most businesses will use the owner's name in some capacity.

  22. #22GregsHD2018-06-25 13:39

    Up here in Canukistan, well in BC anyway, most Provincial corporations are a numbered company eg, (123456 BC LTD) Doing Business As, John's chicken choking service. If Fred buys the company it remains 123456 BC LTD but he can DBA prit near whatever name he chooses. If it's a Federal Corporation country wide there's a bunch of BS including a company name search etc etc. What's it like State side?

  23. #23Wes J2018-06-25 19:26

    Pretty much the same. Incorporation is still done at the state level though. But you have to do the name search and appoint officers and a board and all that crap. For a simple sole proprietor business, you can DBA anything you like. The legal part of the business is tied to your legal name and social security number. You'll receive an EIN, basically a tax ID number. That's pretty much a social security number for your company. If you change the DBA name, the EIN stays the same. A trip to the local county government office can likely accomplish everything you need.

  24. #24Welder Dave2018-06-26 01:37

    Sometimes when a business is sold, they just ad a year to the name. John's Repairs Ltd becomes John's Repairs 2018 Ltd.

  25. #25colson042020-06-04 07:28

    Just keep the original name. A friend bought his boss's business and just kept the previous owners name on the door because of the solid reputation the business had.

  26. #26AzIron2020-06-04 17:59

    A few outfits here are on second and third owner with original owner dead and the original name on the buissness cause name recognition is something of value

  27. #27southernman132020-06-04 18:42

    Gone in 60 seconds ! Lol

  28. #28Vetech632020-06-04 19:08

    IDE go with whatever name this beauty comes up with! I just don’t see how you could go wrong.

  29. #29Vetech632020-06-04 19:11

    You guys have missed the obvious......Marco Polo

  30. #30southernman132020-06-04 19:12

    Yes that’s what I’m talking bout. Woohoo!

  31. #31renovator2020-06-04 19:45

    Keep it simple. I had a well though out name for my business, but I ended up having to spell it out every time. In hindsight, I should have just gone with Mike's.

  32. #32southernman132020-06-04 19:47

    Was it a concrete company. Could have been Reno Vibrator ! Too funny

  33. #33southernman132020-06-04 19:56

    I like to cut the fool. Hope I’m not offending anyone don’t shoot me lol

  34. #34Vetech632020-06-04 20:04

    I cut the fool so good I earned a weeks vacation from here. I would have been fine but FWF is a bad influence.

  35. #35Truck Shop2020-06-04 20:45

    I have seen three auto repair shops that used/had RPM in the name. RPM-Ruins Perfect Motors.

  36. #36southernman132020-06-04 21:15

    Really poor management

  37. #37Tugger22020-06-04 22:35

    I used my own name on my business,which worked well for me . At times i had reservations about it when it came to selling,but those times have past and im just riding it out. Some interesting ones ive come across in my neck of the woods ' God awful logging an upside down happy face was the logo on the pickups.A pile driving company called Lamina Management ( animal spelled backwards) If i did it again id use something more generic like the town or area im from or an abreviation of initials as im not big on drawing attention to myself ( bad way to get ahead sometimes)

  38. #38Steve Frazier2020-06-04 22:44

    At the request of the author I'm closing this thread.