Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Name that Cat

cuttin edge ยท 2015-04-16 21:30

Never been around scrapers much. Heard lots of tales from old tractor men pushing them, but never any personal experience. I do remember years ago when I first got into road building. The company I worked for ** Esson and Sons had 2 old scrapers. They were really big. They had 4 wheels on the front instead of 2. They were open cab, just a little windshield, not even a roof. I was told that one of the operators used to keep a can with rags, and gas in it. When he wanted to get a little more out of her, he would hold the gas soaked rag against the air filter. The company that bought them, drove them 200 miles from our shop to their job site. Any idea what make and number they might have been.

Replies6
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-04-16 22:00

    CAT DW20 if old enough for the scraper to be cable operated. Could have been Cat 660s if hydraulic pan. 60 yard capacity on the 660s if I remember right. Or a few others in between. Sure someone else with jump in with a few others.

  2. #2cuttin edge2015-04-16 22:34

    The Dw20 looks close, and it could have been cable. I was there in the late 80s, and they hadn't turned a wheel in years. Although when I look at a 666, it might be a match as the driver sat to one side.

  3. #3movindirt2015-04-17 14:04

    It wasn't a 830 Cat was it?

  4. #4cuttin edge2015-04-17 14:51

    I'm still leaning toward the 666. I could be wrong. I've got a good memory, but it's awful short. TriGil in Moncton NB was the company that bought them. If there is anyone on here that worked for Charlie, they might know. The style of the 830 does not seem right.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-04-18 00:52

    Knew an outfit back in the late eighties running a pair of DW20's, at least one of which had a 335 Cummins in it... weird.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2015-04-19 10:04

    A 666 would have two engines. A 660 would be a front engine only. Both are getting scarce and are getting to be sought after by collectors. I would love one myself but they can get spendy if in operating condition. I have to be satisfied with my DW 21.