Ok, I may be 40 years old so dont let this question fool you. I have been working in the same shipyard for over 18 years, 14 of those years where in Cranes, all training was on the job and class room material from ITI. Most of my time is in electic, air (friction) type cranes, I am one out of 4 people in our shipyard of 900 workers who can safely operate any hydrolic crane we rent or own. (Not many) {More of a hands on then a bookworm** Is there anything I need to study up on in order to take the test to be NCCCO? (ie Type of crane) Is it even worth trying to get some sort of schooling before I dare take this test? Our company will not support any effort in having me get this cert done, they know if I get it I would find something better out there.
So is it a requirement of the company that you certify?, If not, whats the point. If becoming certified is not required, what do you gain other than personal satisfaction and the money out of pocket. I did mine through the union training center, and if you pass your refunded, other than lost time at work and travel expense for the test it did not cost me anything, otherwise its expensive. A study guide can be ordered from NCCO, study load charts and understand them, Many OSHA questions, so study that as well. I am a hands on person myself and not a book guy, LOL, it is a tough test in my opinion, good luck with it!. Lee Also, you will need to certify on each type of crane you will use like, small hyro, large hydro, crawler friction, truck crane, ect.
Im trying to get out of the shipyard, no one will take me as an operator with in house training even tho if I had 200 years of seat time.
You have valued skills as a crane operator, I would suggest a visit to your IUOE local and talk to a BA or a dispatcher and get there opinion, one thing you will give up is steady employment, but crane operators seem to be in demand at least in our market. I would think an operator with 18 years exp. would be an instant sighn on, and they will help with the cert. I may be wrong but it's worth a phone call at least!, if you go at it alone, it is spendy. Best of luck to you! and take care. Lee
I called IUOE and they also said the same thing Lee, I would gain more pay per hour but also lack steady employment.. I am starting to think I got into the wrong trade.
Many plusses and minuses in life, yes!, security is hard to give up, no doubt, I do not sit in a crane every day, I am a field mech, but enjoy crane work, and makes me more employable. Take care. Lee