Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Nccco points system

Jdog ยท 2017-10-26 21:42

new to the site and newer to cranes. I am curious if anyone knows what the points deductions are for TLL crane practical. Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1crane operator2017-10-26 23:15

    http://www.nccco.org/nccco/certification-programs/mobile-crane-operator/exam-outline

  2. #2Jdog2017-10-27 09:23

    Thanks for that. So, now I have the times for each task. What are the penalties for knocking off balls, touching down load outside of circle, going over time, etc... Thank you

  3. #3crane operator2017-10-27 16:18

    It's been too long since I took the test, I don't remember being in a big hurry/ rushed for time. A co- worker at the time when I got mine, asked how many tennis balls I had knocked off- "because it looked like wimbeldon out there when I got done- I sent tennis balls everywhere!" He passed after sending tennis balls everywhere, so I knew I had passed, so I would think if you're halfway careful, you should do fine. Provided you know how to run a crane. If you don't, practice a lot. I was already a operator for a few years when I got mine, so it wasn't a big deal. I felt bad because a lot of the guys in the hall that took and passed it, really didn't know how to run a crane, and I know they got sent out to jobs as a "certified" operator, and that doesn't help anyone out, the operator is inexperienced, and the hiring outfit is upset because they're not getting quality employees. I don't know the particular run down of points loss, if you're worried that much about your skills/ or get nervous and have troubles with it, the only thing that makes you better is more experience. I find if I shoot for perfect, I've got some margin for error. If you go into some test thinking "I can drop 25 points and still pass" I think you're setting yourself up to fail.

  4. #4Welder Dave2017-10-28 00:51

    If it's anything like taking a pressure welding test to get certified, it's 50% skill and 50% nerves. Best to try and treat it like just another day on the job and try not to get all stressed out about it.