Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NCCCO Training I passed the written now the practical……

Dmconstruct ยท 2011-01-01 19:45

I've been putting in some seat time since getting laid off for the season. I've been runnin a govt issued 84 Pettibone fixed cab squirt boom for the fixed cab small hyd, test. an 87 R/T P&H omega 30ton for the large hyd test and mother of them all.... early 80's Bucyrus Erie all terrain 50ton for the lattice boom test. Needless to say the only one im concerned about is the friction rig. Anybody gone through this certification process? What are the testers more concerned with hitting the cones or floating the load??

Replies15
  1. #1qball2011-01-01 23:33

    we do o.e.c.p. here at local 150. kinda the same test. don't hit the cones. don't hit the ground. take your time and relax.

  2. #2heavylift2011-01-02 00:46

    Good luck with the tests I think the timed aspect of getting from here to there is unrealistic. I can't say that I have ever been asked or been told the load needs to be there in 4 minutes or less... I have been thinking about getting a card also. Mainly because of OSHA stepping into the picture.. might also throw away another 135 for the TWIC ... this one doesn't bother me other than giving the government the money, I've never been denied entry to a aircraft, refinery or military facility. I have had a few offers in my email to operate a crane but the Nccco is usually the first word in the ad.. So later this year I may dump a few bucks into yet another piece of plastic.

  3. #3Dmconstruct2011-01-02 11:22

    Thanks for the input, I totally agree with y'all. Being out of Local 57 here in RI saved me couple bucks but for the most part its anywhere from $100-$500 for the written and the practical. Depending on how many types of cranes you want to cert for. All the seat time for practicing is free though

  4. #4klmracing2011-01-02 22:25

    congrats on passing. do your self a favor and make sure you dont let it expire. i accidentally let mine expire and am going through hell trying to get it renewed.

  5. #5Dmconstruct2011-01-03 15:58

    I have 1 year from taking the written exam to take the practical. Then, from the same date I took the written, I have 5 years until renewal. does the 5 yr renewal require to take the written core, specialty and practical all over again??

  6. #6klmracing2011-01-03 22:53

    no, just a written refresher test. i just got set up today to take both my written core and practical on friday. maybe 5 years from now i wont let it expire again lol

  7. #7catkicker2011-01-09 17:29

    Not one Hyd. lattice boom crawler in the entire state of Ohio. you would think local 18 could start thinking about the present and not the past and get us a modern crane to do cco practical. Sort of crazy training on a friction rig to take practical when you will probably never get on one or want to. Main thing is keep on top of that ball, once your in the cones it is mayhem if that bucket is moving around much.

  8. #8Tiny2011-01-09 20:37

    According to the boss I will have to be cert. to run a boom truck ....Thats nutz

  9. #9muzy2011-01-10 14:22

    Good luck with the cert. big guy. I know you can do it. Who knows might get ya more $$. muzy

  10. #10Dmconstruct2011-01-11 15:23

    Tiny its about 4 bolts to take the crane off the truck, Tell em to compensate you for the fees or its commin off.

  11. #11Dmconstruct2011-01-11 15:30

    I totally agree with you. I took my practical today, I wouldve much rather been on a 222 than this old rig. I made every effort not to hit any cones but I took down the last 4 cones on the forward zigzag and remained flawless and smooth on the reverse. This was the worst of the 12 tests I took today. The squirt booms were flawless. I should be getting my results within a week. The examiner isnt supposed to confirm or deny any info but he told me that he took out a whole side of cones and still passed. Fingers Crossed.

  12. #12Lugghead2011-01-17 08:18

    I think its a GREAT thing, guys running boom trucks having to be cerftified!! Every trade under the sun jumps behind the controls of them rigs?!?!? Maybe it'll make it so someone who at least knows what the controls are for is running the dam thing. I've seen guys park telehandlers on outriggers so the guy that runs it next has the boom snap........

  13. #13Dmconstruct2011-01-18 14:05

    How would parking on outriggers have the boom snap :beatsme

  14. #14Lugghead2011-01-21 23:14

    Things you do today don't always affect things today, sometimes, the stress you put on a rig today doesn't show up til tomorrow or next week or even next month.....

  15. #15Tiny2011-01-22 11:51

    After think about this for awhile it could be good for me . No one else unless would run my truck (Unless qualified ), down side is wanting time off . If that truck is needed and no else is qualified ,You have to be there . They we have to pay for it , I just need a hand full of years and i'm retired........... So I can drive dump truck if need be to make it that long . From a company view its going to be good for them because if something go's bad they with call the hall and tell them that this person was certified by you so you are responsible .