Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need a backhoe I think.

JasonDunn ยท 2010-04-07 23:09

Hi guys I am looking for some advice I have a home in the country with 240 acres I want to buy a backhoe to clean up around the place and move hay I have had a few tractors but dont know squat about backhoes I have $10,000 cash to spend so here are my questions 1. Is a backhoe even what I need or should I look at dozers? 2. Can I buy a machine worth having for $10,000 3. What is the best backhoe for the $ 4. Is renting a better option ? Keep in mind I have lots of things I want done Move hay,clean out pond ,clear brush,burn piles. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1flyingfrog5092010-04-08 00:00

    I've been looking for a backhoe on the same basic budget (but for a much smaller piece of land) What I've found so far in NW GA that 10K will get a Case 580b / Ford 555a/b from the 1980s vintage. The biggest problem I'm running into is that most people don't get rid of a backhoe "just because" it is usually because something expensive is broken or ready to break. I'd also say that about 1/2 of the owners simply lie straight out like as if you'll never figure out that the brakes are clicking instead of stopping the backhoe. Say something like "well you really don't need brakes that much". SURE you don't need brakes!...till you try to move something. Any how all of that to say...if you can find a person who really knows everything about heavy machinery pay them to come along and give you good advice or you might end up like I did when I bought a JD450 that ended up needing clutch packs that cost 700 bucks a side and then I found out there was no way I could even do the repairs. Heavy machinery just aren't the same as restoring a 65 Mustang. That is my two cents from what I've been going through in my search. I'm hoping there are some guys that can help out on the forum as I find hoes of interest because I haven't found anyone that knows enough about them locally.

  2. #2JasonDunn2010-04-08 00:15

    Have a look at the Thread above this one Whats it worth I posted a Backhoe they say is a nice farm hoe runs good no leaks what would you pay for it?

  3. #3mlprus882010-04-08 02:28

    Not very much with the cob job weld and fishplate repairs. My advice, keep looking, you'll find a decent one in your price range soon enough. It's a buyers market. A month ago I bought a 94 Case 580SK turbo with cab,4x4,extendahoe and two rear buckets from a CAT dealer for $19,000.00. Nice, clean, fairly tight machine with 3000 hours on the clock. There are deals out there. Try looking on machinerytrader and put your highest search price a little higher than what you want to pay. You have a very very big magical advantage, CASH!!! They will negotiate with you.

  4. #4Phil2010-04-08 06:37

    Interesting advice from flying frog. It's very true, many don't sell a machine until they see problems developing. I think it's a backhoe you need and for $10K I would try for a Case 580D, even the C model is better than a B. A least if you get fleeced, you will be able to get lots of parts. Take someone with you that has owned several older hoes. Phil

  5. #5diggerdave19582010-04-08 22:53

    I agree with Phil, U should be able to pick up a good used Case 580C or D for the money u want to spend i have had 2 - 580C and they where good machines and now i have a Case 580SE 4x4 and it OK. But take someone who has been around used backhoes with u maybe able to catch something u miss. Just my 2 cents.

  6. #6Slate Mike2010-04-09 22:25

    I am in the same position as you are with a lot fewer acres to contend with. While my mechanical appitude is not 0, it's not a heck of a lot higher. I can grease and change oil and filters, but anything much moe difficult and I'm looking for help. This has lead me to budget $21k for a machine that I hope will give me good service and few headaches. If I'm wrong here then I hope some of the experts will chime in and tell us what $ we should be looking at.

  7. #7tuney4432010-04-11 10:10

    From someone who's been in the excavating biz for 36 years and has had many backhoes,I will say the most important item for looking at anything used,is demand to see the owners manual with all the maintenance records.If there isn't anything written down,pass on it.Check to see the 100,500,1,000 hr. interval work was done on schedule.If you can find a JD 310-510A,B,C,D,or E,those are IMHO the very best hoes out there.If it runs smooth,has power,the hydraulics don't settle,it should be a keeper.

  8. #8JasonDunn2010-05-05 12:15

    Well I did it I found a Ford Newholland 555E super clean no leaks everthing works but when I checked the transmission oil it was milky looking after talking to several people I was convinced it was condensation the owner did an oil change on it so far so good it still has a little color to it but was told it will take several changes to clear it up hope I havent screwed up was told the only way water can get in there was A-someone put it in B-Condensation or C-leaky boot passing rain water on shifter . All other oil is fine and its a hoss but still a little worried about the water in the transmission and how it got there any suggestions would be appresciated . Also it has a red button on the loader control and backhoe control what are ther for ??

  9. #9rooster2010-05-05 18:02

    Sounds like u did ok. The red buttons are transmission disconnects. Use them like u would a clutch. I use mine alot when I am loading dump truck. I have a Case 580 Super L, but have run N H 555E alot. The only thing I would advise is to be carefull loading or carrying with front bucket, to me they are light in the backend. The pit owner where I buy shale from owns one that I load with, but I just can't get along with it. Have fun,be safe, U will be amazed at what U can do after U get a lil seat time.

  10. #10Willis Bushogin2010-05-05 20:39

    backhoe I shouldnt post this, without more info, but a friend of mind called me today and said he knew where there was a Ford 555 backhoe with 1200 hours, enclosed cab, 4wd ( I think this is the correct info) I wasnt interest so my poor brain didnt retain all the info. Its located in eastern NC, sold a few years ago for $39,000 He wants $17,000 for it I know the price is right, so if anyone is interested, I can try to get more info and a phone number for you to call