Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need a front engine mount

Mark Bridgwater ยท 2023-10-21 18:44

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, the front mount (as pictured) for the 12V-71 in a Terex scraper, etc.?

Replies9
  1. #1OzDozer2023-10-21 22:11

    Are you looking for the casting/forging that supports the engine, or just the rubber mounting component?

  2. #2Mark Bridgwater2023-10-22 04:44

    The support shown. I assume it just clamps around the snout surrounding the crank, steel on steel at that point (?) I'm installing the engine in a 1940's heavy truck that was originally designed for a 6-71. Out of the various front mounts made for the 12V, I think I'd like to use one of these.

  3. #3OzDozer2023-10-22 05:30

    It is clamped, but it's not steel-on-steel, it has a fancy vibration-absorbing mounting, almost something like the old GM engine rope-type rear main seal. I don't know what the material is, it's actually made from. There has to be a movement and vibration-absorbing arrangement between engine and the front mount casting, or the snout on the front cover would fracture with engine movement. This video shows a guy removing the front mounting on a 12V-71, and shows the vibration-absorbing arrangement (from 16m:30s on). Perhaps this guy might be able to assist you in locating one of the mounts for a 12V-71? Otherwise, eBay might produce one, if you keep looking on there?

  4. #4kshansen2023-10-22 08:41

    As I recall the "fancy vibration-absorbing mounting" is just sections of V belts installed in the groves of the mount. At least I recall using V belt material on a few back in the day. That mount looks like what I'm recalling being used on the R-35 Euclids we had, Also known as 74TD. One site I see lots of old Detroit stuff is: https://www.surplusman.com/parts?page=25 Do not see that particular mount but who knows what they might have? Might be worth checking with them. In my old 1973 Parts book I'm only seeing two different mounts for a 12V-71, 5109560 and 5122102 no picture or any thing to let me know what they were used in or looked like.

  5. #5Truck Shop2023-10-22 21:22

    Yeah baby-----I would defiantly want that meat head working on----------------------------------.

  6. #6kshansen2023-10-23 07:52

    Yea! was not too impressed. I seem to recall one of the problems with getting the damper flange off those was the tapered cones. When pulling they could actually grip harder. Trying to remember if the outer cone had a gap in it that you could tap a small chisel into to help it release.

  7. #756wrench2023-10-23 11:00

    Well, wrong puller, minimal knowledge and a hammer. Recipe for disaster he got off lucky

  8. #8Truck Shop2023-10-23 18:01

    Just beat the hell out that damper it can take it!

  9. #9kshansen2023-10-23 19:43

    Not like there is anything inside that can be damaged right? Its basically just a flywheel, right? How Does A Viscous Damper Work? Vibratech TVD is a global leader in viscous damper manufacturing, engineering, and torsional vibration analysis for powertrain applications. blog.vibratechtvd.com