Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need a fuel tank for a 555 Ford

Joe-Loader ยท 2013-10-12 15:45

Anyone know where I could find a fuel Tank for a Ford 555 backhoe? Pretty sure it's a 1979. My other option is to coat the inside of the tank anyone done that?

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2013-10-12 16:47

    I've coated several gas tanks on cars. Just get a gallon of epoxy resin, mix it up and slosh it around, pour out the extra. Being a backhoe that you're probably going to keep around longer than a rusted out car, you'd want to clean the inside as well as you can so it doesn't start rusting behind the epoxy and pop it off. Gravel or broken glass inside the tank and strap the tank to a concrete mixer for an hour should do it. Edit: if you're not a stickler about keeping it original, any old plastic tank that you could make work would be what I'd do. It just seems like there's so much less condensation and fuel problems with a plastic tank.

  2. #2Joe-Loader2013-10-12 17:25

    The standard tanks galvanized. If I can find a tank cheap I'll buy it. I like the plastic tank option not sure where I would find one big enough to work.

  3. #3Delmer2013-10-12 20:17

    How do you use the backhoe? Do you need the full capacity of the tank for running 8 hours? I've got old equipment, that's handy to use, but I sure don't need a 20 gallon tank. I figure with a smaller tank, the fuel gets used up faster, and stays fresher, and I stay happier. I'll gladly carry fuel in 5 gallon cans rather than deal with fuel sitting too long. Is the tank terne coated inside maybe? I thought zinc and copper were no-no's in diesel systems because they cause the fuel to go bad.

  4. #4Joe-Loader2013-10-12 20:29

    On the tank coating not sure! I was told by guys in my weld shop at work it was galvanized . No I don't need 20+ gallons it's pretty easy on fuel. You make a good point on keeping fresh fuel!

  5. #5thepumpguysc2013-10-13 18:29

    brokentractor . com

  6. #6Joe-Loader2013-10-14 19:32

    brokentractor.com wants $560 for a used one that seems high to me!