Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need advice is it to cold to work in 25degree weather,bout to freeze!

thabull ยท 2012-01-03 21:43

Cant funtion when its that cold

Replies31
  1. #1tripper_1742012-01-03 22:11

    You mean minus 25 I hope!

  2. #2Randy882012-01-04 03:37

    In january thats not cold, but rather a nice warm day to do things outside before it turns back cold again.

  3. #3CRAFT2012-01-04 04:30

    LMFAO .... Exactly !

  4. #4dirty4fun2012-01-04 06:35

    I guess that would be a little cool sitting at the beach. For work it is pretty darn nice, for this time of the year.

  5. #51toomanyhobbies2012-01-04 08:42

    I laughed at this post because I'm with thabull, 25 is cold! However, I think a lot has to do with what you have for work cloths. Right now my sweat shirt over a t shirt isn't cutting it. :beatsme Any jackets i have aren't really designed for working outside. I have thought of getting some nice work jacket but it was in the mid 60s last week and will be again this week so kinda hard to justify spending too much.

  6. #63rdGenDslWrench2012-01-12 20:23

    LOL well if he's in Florida and it got down to 25 then that would be a hell of a shock to wake up to first thing in the morning. When I was a kid I went hunting in the mountains of Maryland in April one time....Left the house 70 degrees....woke up the next morning in the cabin...14 degrees. Clearly was not ready for that.

  7. #7Greg2012-01-15 20:47

    Do it all the time. When it gets to 15 degrees if the wind is blowing bad we will hang it up. If you mena 25 below, hang it up here

  8. #8Wrench_one2012-01-21 12:11

    7 here yesterday morning, Belt line was frosted and the coal would not ride up the slope!!!!

  9. #9dannyboy9502012-01-21 15:54

    It's all about where and what you're used to. To most of these guys from way up north thats just a balmy day. Down here if it's 25 most of the state is shut down LOL Lord help us if there is actually ice or snow. I got children grown who have only seen snow here twice in their lives.

  10. #10mikef872012-01-21 19:17

    5 degrees Thursday morning we worked, all the junk started just took a while to warm that oil up.

  11. #11thabull2012-01-21 19:23

    hats off to you guys!

  12. #12EZ TRBO2012-01-21 23:58

    Headed out in the plow truck this morning at 5:30 and bank clock said -5 and the flag on the bank was just a nice flap...not much wind. Sun came out and was really a nice day out. Trbo

  13. #13Randy882012-01-22 04:21

    Wind chill here was about -25 yesterday morning, took some time to warm up the skid steer to move snow and my feet got cold in a few hours and had to go in to warm up some, got it would be nice if it warmed up to 25 above with no or little wind, seems like only a dream now those days will come back again.

  14. #14CRAFT2012-01-22 13:07

    YAHHH ! .....but then you wouldn't have any snow to push ! ....nothing to complain about ....or ??????

  15. #15crewchief8882012-02-04 08:35

    25* is like a balmy spring day makes me wanna run around nekkid in a field of daisies i've been out working in air temps below zero, wind chills @ -55 only thing that shuts down service calls, is unpassable roads, and that seldom happens. :drinkup

  16. #1602Dmax2012-02-05 16:06

    I remember being excited to see 25 as a high the other afternoon. Calm winds and bright sun make all the difference too. I'd rather work outside on a 5 degree calm and sunny day than a 25 degree overcast, windy day. I despise wind, as do most field mechanics I'm sure. Can't drain fluids without making a huge mess or rigging up a windblock, blows your manual pages around, blows your rags and parts boxes around, AHHH, I'm aggravated just thinking about it!

  17. #17crewchief8882012-02-06 14:50

    i'm with ya 02dmax i hate overcast windy days, seems like it's always damp air blowing too. my biggest problem to trying to do electrical diagnostics/troubleshooting when it's cold. cant work in gloves, a pair of latex gloves keeps some of the cold off my hands, but really dont hel that much. i keep a couple pair of gloves warming on the dash, when my hands get cold, i swap out cold gloves for warm ones, helps for a few minutes anyway. :drinkup

  18. #18thabull2012-02-06 16:40

    my feet get cold any advice out there

  19. #19crewchief8882012-02-06 17:01

    for extreme cold, (air temp below 10* wind chills even below that) pair of regular socks, pair of wool socks. insulated and waterproof cold weather or hunting boots. pack of "toe warmers" in each boot. keep your feet DRY i keep extra socks, and boots in my service truck. most of the time i take my (insulated)boots off while i'm in the truck, your feet will start to sweat, and then instant cold feet same goes with gloves, i wear a pair of 9mil thick latex gloves, and another pair of work gloves over them. i'f i have to pull off the heavier gloves , i still have something to keep some of the cold air off my hands. usually have a couple pair of gloves warming on the dash of the truck. swap cold gloves for warm ones. for temps in the 20's and above, a pair of wool socks, and work boots is what i wear. :drinkup

  20. #20BlazinSS9342012-02-06 18:30

    I use a moisture wicking undershirt with a thermal top under my uniform shirt. Regular denim work pants and a hooded thermal sweat shirt I am good to about 25 degrees F. Depends on the job I'll throw on my unlined bibs. The lined bibs are for colder days and any night work. I am a water servicer and I rotate with the three guys I work with. I either run the backhoe drive the dump truck or my utility truck. If I am in the dump or the backhoe the bibs never go on if I am in the hole or the top man I'll wear them. Always carry two pairs of socks and an extra pair of boots in the truck. Nothing beats watching the sunrise with a nice cup of joe on a brisk chilly winter morning

  21. #2102Dmax2012-02-06 23:16

    All winter I wear regular socks under "redhead" wool socks (they stay up better) and wear steel toed Muck brand rubber boots. I have a boot dryer/warmer stand so every morning they're warm and dry to start the day. If you don't dry those muck boots every night they'll still be moist the next day and you'll have cold feet starting the day off. Keeping warm is directly associated with how well you plan and prepare the night before in my opinion.

  22. #22bch2012-02-08 19:12

    they say if ya keep your head warm, you'll be warm...

  23. #23CM19952012-02-08 20:15

    Ya'll are making me cold. This is winter for us - http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/birmingham-al/35203/weather-forecast/346630 It's not cold, working in T-shirt and maybe an over shirt unless your in the sun. I have to run the a/c in the truck after 10 AM.

  24. #24heavylift2012-02-08 20:20

    bread sacks on your feet. Whoops! I guess that shows my age. Hey it worked for warm feet then, But it has evolved a bit now. Walmart sacks or such. I don't use them very often, maybe a handful of times a year. Just depends on the weather or whether, if I'm going to be out in the weather as opposed to setting in a cab all day.

  25. #25absoluteequipme2012-02-12 22:57

    i have found that the " newer " silken under socks with wool over them in combo with any underarmor garments. they are pricey , but man what a big differance. and always a hat or beanie.

  26. #26blitz1382012-02-12 23:06

    Last Thursday I had to replace injectors on the point shivs of marion 8050, it was 12 degrees and the wind was blowing about 30 mph........just another day at the office

  27. #27alco2012-02-13 01:24

    Now that made me laugh. Mid -30s to low -40s here most winters, but this winter has been warm with only a couple of cold spells. If you called those temps extreme cold here, you'd be laughed at by the folks you see wearing shorts when it warms up that much. Above -20, it's coveralls with no pants and a sweatshirt for me. Below -20, I'll wear pants under my coveralls and a jacket over top.

  28. #28Catpower2012-04-04 10:22

    Cabela has nice chamois shirts always get the tall for they stay tucked in longer. Tee shirt, turtle, neck chamois, Stanfields two layer long johns , jeans Carharts arctic or red lined coverals ( full) If it's colder then -20 C I will put on the leather winter boots with sized the half wool liners from the military mucklucks. Just wonderful things!

  29. #29Dad52012-11-18 19:38

    Hi Guys/Gals Haven't posted here in a while. I'm working in an open pit iron ore mine in the sub arctic. We use lots of wool, HellyHansen gear and -100 degree Dakota boots. We are allowed to call it quits after it goes below -40C.

  30. #30curb guy2012-11-18 21:50

    The older I get, I cannot decide what I hate more, really hot (90 degrees and up) or really cold (25 degree and lower) temperatures.Granted, different regions define cold/hot differently, but hot is hot and cold is cold no matter where you are.Under-armor has changed my life.Pricey-yes, but worth every penny.Especially if you sweat as much as I do.Especially on those days where it starts out at, say 20-ish degrees and warms up and sunny in the mid-day, then gets cold again.The moisture wicking properties keep you warm and dry.Now, if you put on a pair of under-armor "long-johns" and a pair of Carhartt fleece lined jeans,a sweatshirt and a good jacket, you will be good.With that combination of clothing,I rarely need my carhartt bibs or coveralls.For boots, it's hard to beat a pair of Rocky's 1000 gram gore-tex boots. Just my opinion.

  31. #31curb guy2012-11-18 22:08

    I will second the Helly-Hanson-good stuff! Will have to check out the Dakota boots, never heard of those.