i'm a new guy here and first this is my first post, and I really need some advice. I need a backhoe to clean up 7 acres of woods that are a real mess. Lots of blowdowns and tangled up messes. I'm selling my JD 3120 tractor to finance the project, so the budget will probably be 16k - 19k.I would suspect that I'll need to hire a mechanic from wherever the machine comes from as I have little (no) expertise in heavy equipment.Any and all advice about machines and how to purchase appreciated. Thanks.
I would reccommend looking at an auction house, or a rental yard that has a used BH for sale...as for which one and how much...too many variables...but, since it's going to be your first one..get something simple, reliable, not too new (fewer electronic malfunctions)and an ENCLOSED CAB!!!
Are you really sure / convinced about a backhoe and not another piece of plant. Just curious as to whether you know you need a backhoe as you have worked it out or been advised thats best. There are a lot of members here that have asked a very similar question ( nothing wrong in that ) but as such there is a lot of advice / information in the threads if you have a search.
SM A good place to look is on line. I found my BH on Craigs list. Also local want ads in the papers. I was never a big fan of auctions, although I like to attend. If anyone has a problem machine they sell it at auction. But in all fairness there are some good deals at auction. In any case rent a mechanic for a few hours to check out your prospective purchase. There are lots of post on here about different brands and models. Pros and cons of each. In addition to the enclosed cab I would suggest an extenda hoe and a mechanical thumb or hyd. thumb. and 4 wheel drive.
Thanks for all above advice. I settled on the backhoe loader as I need the hoe to push stuff over and dig stumps. I need the loader and a set of forks to move the stuff after it is down(to the "stump dump".) I won't buy at auction for the above reasons and do check Craig's List and Machinery Trader. Looking for something JD 310 size or larger.with 4wd, x-tend hoe, and cab. Found a JD 710 in MO., with all needed options and 4100 hrs. $12,800 del'd to VT. Big machine, but I love the thought of how much it could do without even exerting itself. I am a firm believer in getting at least one size larger tool than neccessary for the given job. Do you experienced guys think that this would be a fair choice? I wouldn't think a 1988 machine would have too much in computer controlled stuff. Thanks.
I'm a new to this as well. Found mine on Craigs List! Use their search feature, it works well. BTW, bigger may not always be better, sometimes you can do more damage with a heavier machine. We've had a lot of wet weather this year, so I have to be real careful where I leave tracks....
710's are like my machine-BIG. 710's have a 6 banger-which is very cool. Is it 4x4? I have a NH LB115 4x4. It's huge, but work seems effortless to it, too. I think your 710 has even more rip out force than my 115. I like mine because it has 4 wheel steer and 4 huge tires. It just drives over anything. I can crawl under it on all fours and hardly scrape my back on the undercarriage. I love the huge hoes-the LB 115, the JD 710 and the old Dynahoes. :usa Only bad thing about the bigger hoes is transporting them.
Duke - Yes it is a 4wd machine. And I love the idea of ripping out stumps with out straining the machine. Admittedly, transport would be more difficult than with a smaller machine. But I truly believe that the bigger machines get less abuse in private hands and thus need less repair. Maybe you could or someone else could comment on that theory. I think that any decent late 80's machine will bring at least $12k and why not get more machine for the money?
Bigger is always better when it comes to stumps, but keep in mind that the large models of hoes are much harder to resell. I'd consider, in view of the money you plan to spend, hiring a backhoe for a few hours just to see how efficiently it will do your job. A clam bucket might be an option to consider and think about what you intend to do with the machine when you are done. Phil
I have a 1988 580K 4x4 ex-hoe and it has no problem digging out stumps. If I was clearing and carrying wood to pile and burn I would lean more toward a 4in1 loader bucket over ex-hoe. The bucket will allow you to clamp stumps and branches to move them. The ex-hoe is nice for pond work but you have to make the call as to what you need most. Any thing you look at lift the front with the bucket and check for loose wheels and king pins. Check the front pivot point as well as these are often forgotten by the guy greasing it.
Bill - Thanks for the tip on the front wheels and king pins. I would love a 4 in 1 bucket and agree it would be handy for a lot of stuff. I was planning on making an extended set of forks for the bucket to use in transporting the debris. And adding something like a "Ratchet Rake" to the bucket for clean up. Glad to hear your 580K will rip up stumps. 580's seem the most common LB in this part of VT. Not that a state with under 600k population has many of any LB's for sale. But NH is next door and seems to have some good prospects. Any other tips appreciated. Thanks, Mike
Buying Having just bought a BH, I cannot over emphasize having it checked out by a mechanic before you buy. Parts are expensive: probably because the dealers operate from the perspective you are a commercial operator. I have spent a lot of $$$$ on my unit to get it up to good operating condition. The problem for me is the trade-off between doing repairs yourself or having a mechanic do it. For example, when putting on new seals on a swing cylinder, the bolt holding the seals needs 950 lb/ft of torque. Do you buy the equipment or have it done and pay? Wrenches on my Case 580b require 7/8" and greater for any larger part that needs to be worked on to get to the repair. You can buy wrenches, or a large compressor for impact hammers if you are going to have an on-going need. In my case, I bought the BH to clear my land, and once I am done, I intend to sell it. It is a tough trade-off between buying the tools you need and paying a mechanic since getting good money on "used" compressors, impact tools and wrenches is difficult. Not too many people need 2" wrenches. Your call, just some of my experience. One more thing. Though I needed a BH for my situation, take a look at the more powerful skid steers. They are more compact and may be suitable depending on the work you need done.
Tools for new equipment owners I was looking around Harbor Freight the other day... they have large sockets and wrenches. Before anyone gets excited, I'm only suggesting this for us backyard guys! I'm planning to buy some large wrenches for working on my backhoe. I have a pretty complete shop for automotive work, but not for this new adventure... I've rebuilt 4 cylinders so far, but the job would have been easier with a few more tools.
Thanks, Joe. I'll be using the LB to clean up 7 acres of woods thats full of blow downs and generally hard to get through. My wife wants it to be a "park." And someday it may be a separate lot for another home for our kids and grandkids. I can only afford 1 piece of equipment and have to sell my JD3120 to afford that. So I'm looking realistically at a 15k to 18k budget. And while I plan to do routine maintenance and small repairs myself, I know I don't have the skills or the tools to handle the bigger or more complex stuff. I'll definitely hire an expert of some sort to look over any machine before I buy it. And if it is from out of state will have to hope I can find an honest mechanic to evaluate it for me. I can't afford a pig in a poke. Bob - You're right that Harbor Freight does have some big wrenches reasonably. I'll need some, I'm sure. Any other tips and suggestions appreciated.
Have you considered renting a dozer with a winch? It may be much better for cleaning up trees, especially any hangers which are best brought down with a winch. I would use it to skid the trees to a central location to cut limbs off and then pile the logs. Also, it can probably push out most of the blowdown stumps if they are already half uprooted. At that point a backhoe would probably be better to dig the rest off the stumps and load/carry the logs. I have cleared a lot of land and I cannot emphasize enough how much easier your life will be if you minimize cutting off limbs to one or two locations so you avoid stacking and carrying them.
Porter-Thanks and the point well taken. And after further reading, am wondering if I should rent the dozer and then a big excavator. Then buy the backhoe to do the clean up. And keep it for other odd jobs and maybe make some money with it. And a Happy New Year to all!
I always think if you rent you waste money. It is better to buy a machine and take a little longer and pocket the rent money. I had a 310SE never had a bit of trouble with it. Now i have a 310SG and it seems good. I like deere i feel they have better resale. you can do alot of work with a hoe.
If you buy a decent machine you can usually resell it after the project and loose much less mony than renting a machine would cost you.