Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Advice on a Mini

HeyUvaVT ยท 2008-03-26 07:22

We are buying a large but still mini ex and I need some advice...I would prefer to deal with someone sorta local so that limits me to the following brands/models....Kubota KX 080-3...Takeuchi TB175....Gehl 803....I would also consider a CAT 307 but that would require a 1.5hr trip for service...No matter which one we get it will have steel tracks...we are going to be using this machine in the woods to do LIGHT clearing (nothing bigger than 10-12inches) this machine will act mostly as a supplement to our RC100/Mulching Head combo we have now...I would love to know if any of you have time on any of these machines and what you think of them as far as power and reliability...I have a friend that had the 080 and he loves it but it is a new model so I am a little wary of that....any ideas?? :beatsme

Replies9
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-03-26 11:17

    choices Personally I would go with the Kubota or Takeuchi, but only from past experience of thier other models. Dont know anything about the Gehl, not pop in UK. I agree the KX080-3 is a new model but its on proven technology and I haven't seen any problems highlighted on them yet. Both are very popular in the hire fleets in UK. Of the two, I would decide based on parts / service availability, price, salesmans attitude and colour in that order. :cool2

  2. #2Dirtman20072008-03-26 18:18

    No need to look any futher. Get the Takeuchi machine. We have 2 taks and can say nothing bad about them. A friend of ours has 4 taks. 2 tb 135's 1 tb 070( same as the 175) and a 140 skid steer. That TB 070 has had the pure hell beat out of it. Has about 5500 hrs on it and nothing major has broke, expect for things operators have done.

  3. #3stumper1202008-03-26 18:26

    i can strongly recomend the kx080 i work for a kubota dealer and we have had no problems with them. both on units we sold and on our rental units. the kubota offers options like onboard fuel transfer and lots of nice plumbing features like high flow. i ran one with a rockhound flail head last week and was very happy with the performance. you need not worry about the first year production cliche with these machines. go try an apples to apples demo and you will find out for your self good luck.

  4. #4woodchuck22008-03-26 19:15

    Kubota is tried and true, friend of mine has one and loves it. No leaks or shut downs, always reliable.

  5. #5KSSS2008-03-26 21:16

    My neighbor has a TK TB180FR along with 2 TB53FRs, and I have a TB153FR and can say that TK builds a good excavator. The zero swing on the 180 would likely be welcome in tree clearing. I am not sure what the aux. gpm is on it. The TK excavators spec very well in digging performance but not as well in aux. gpm flow for some reason. I looked momentarily at the Kubota 80 before buying the TK. I never demoed one, they look well built and you don't hear many people complain about Kubota excavators either.

  6. #6Alan Mesmer2008-03-28 21:33

    I have a KX121-3 but if the 080 is built as well as its smaller cousin I wouldn't be afraid of it at all. Rumor has it that Kubota is working on a few larger models above the 080 to compete in the mid sized market. I have heard another rumor that they may have skid steers coming as early as next year to the US. :usa I would rent any machine first before you buy and get a good idea of how you like it. Best of luck with your choice. Alan

  7. #7bjosephdavis2008-04-03 21:10

    How does Kubota model numbers work? Take my KX101 for example, is that larger or smaller than a KX121? what about the 080 referenced above? 121 and 101 are larger numbers (than 080) but I get the impression from Mr. Mesmer's post that the 080 model is larger than the 121. If so, where does my KX101 fit in? thanks, joey

  8. #8humboldt deere2008-04-03 21:25

    My first excavator was a kx-91 about 7000 lbs I dont know how these numbers all work but the 080 is an 80 size or eight ton. The 101 is around four ton and the 121 is around 4.5 ton. I think the kubotas are an excellent machine, mine had 5,000 hrs. when i sold it and it was still pretty reliable machine.

  9. #9coopers2008-04-05 04:20

    KX101 was the 121's predecessor I believe. So 9,500lbs. The 080-3 is a larger machine, the biggest Kubota has so far.