I need some insight from the experts here. Local business owner contacted me about clearing approximately one acre of woods to expand his parking lot. Most trees are about 16-18" and under. A handful of them are larger. All he needs is to have it knocked down and pushed off to the back of the property. No cutting, burning, or hauling required (as far as I know). I took one look at it and realized my skid steer and utility tractor are way too small for the job. But the local Sunbelt store will rent me a 45k excavator with thumb for one week for about $3500 including delivery and renters protection. However, while I like to think I catch on fairly quick and can find my way around machinery without issue, I have never run an excavator of any size. So my question is do you think a total novice can drop and pile an acre of small-to-medium size trees and brush with a 45,000lb machine in one week? I know it's hard to say much without being there.
What kind of trees ? Some species of trees are deeply rooted vs others that are easy to uproot. A parking lot ? Is any grading or leveling included ? The more info and pictures you post, will get you a better answer from the experts posting here.
Not exactly sure what kinds. Definitely some maple, poplar and oak. I understand oaks have a pretty stubborn tap root. I remember seeing one cedar but virtually no other evergreens. Soil is red clay if that matters. And currently it's pretty dry. Here's a quick photo of the site from google maps. A gully runs along the length about where the storm drain is at in the curb there. Grading would definitely be needed to make it flat and level but I'm not worrying about that part. Just the clearing. And I'm not getting anywhere near those power lines. He'll have to get a tree service or something for those.
I have called the power company before and they trimmed the trees next to their power line for free. They loved it when I said just to drop the limbs and I would clean up the mess. Trees can be very unpredictable. About every old hand I know has stories about the tree that tried to kill him, and I've been to a visitation where the tree succeeded. It takes a while to learn your tree species and how to take them out. In the summertime with the leaves those trees will be heavy. They fall over easier, but they don't move nearly as easily on the ground. Locally, Mulberry and Siberian Elm require the largest hole to remove the root ball.
Rent a big wheel loader with a root rake.
That is an ambitious job for someone who hasn't ran an excavator clearing before. My personal opinion is that a total novice with no excavator experience trying to clear that lot in that location is a recipe for disaster - both financial and safety wise. I would suggest getting some experience in an excavator clearing in a very open area and start with small 6" and smaller trees. Judging from the pic, that job is not simple for a veteran.
Another possible disaster is the possibility of damaging utilities in and around the rootballs next to the road. He may even need a handfull of permits before even starting. I would not want to rent equipment only to find out I couldn't start without permits
Thanks for the honest replies. To be fair, that picture makes it look worse than it really is but I certainly appreciate the fresh perspective. I was on the fence about it because it's a square lot bordered on two sides by wide open field, and the other two sides by power lines/road and the existing lot full of cars. It's also not level ground. Those are good points about safety. I was so concerned about efficiency I hadn't even considered it. The last thing I want is a 40' tree in my lap because it didn't want to tip over just like a domino. I had considered utilities and permits but not perused them yet. For all I know the ditch in the middle is marked as a wetland and there's a billion dollar fine for disturbing it The more I think about this job the more I'm thinking it's actually a difficult and technical urban clearing job disguised as an easy, wide-open rural one. I think I'll try to find something a little simpler to get my feet wet with.
Hmmm Water Main, traveled road, suspended utilities, permit questions, possible pavement damage from the rootball. If I was short on experience in my tool of choice for the task... maybe I would let this one go by.
In my area , You're on the bubble … your area may differ Quote: Land-disturbing activities that exceed one acre or more within a tract of land. Grading activities within Tier 1 or Tier 2 of the Watershed Critical Area (WCA). Include a permanent runoff control structure within the WCA. If you answered yes to one or more of these questions you need a grading permit . Failure to secure a grading permit can result in enforcement actions including fines, civil penalties, stop work orders, and a hold on certificates of occupancy..." The last sentence can cause your profits to disappear and your purse to get lighter very quickly.