Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Advice on Possible Bucket & Tipping Link Issue?

Cat 336 · 2026-01-31 20:54

I am new to excavating and on a CAT 336 that I have been looking at for digging ponds up to 15’ in winter for extra money. I have noticed a few things on this Excavator that I could use a pair of experienced eyes to perhaps tell me if it’s capable of digging in this condition; should it be fixed; can I maintain correct slope ratio’s with the bucket and links in this condition. On one side of the standard scoop; the bucket link and tipping link are only held together with a bolt and large thin spacer; where the link is bent on an angle. The opposite side the the pin has been pulled out about 1-2”; perhaps from the angle on the links pulling the bolt out of place. Will all pins and links have to be replaced; is this even safe to run in this condition. Thanks for all your expert advice; I am just trying to gain some wisdom.

Replies20
  1. #1Shimmy12026-01-31 21:14

    You better get us some pics of the rest of the machine. Something tells me that you may want to leave this machine right where it's at.

  2. #2Cat 3362026-01-31 21:17

    Thanks; appreciate it; will do in the morning. Have a total video put forgot these sites don’t accept that format.

  3. #3crane operator2026-02-01 08:30

    To post a video, simply post it on youtube, and this site accepts the youtube links.

  4. #4Nige2026-02-01 10:23

    I guess a lot depends on what shape the rest of the machine is in. Post a machine Serial Number to enable parts diagrams to be looked up. Your first photo shows a bent "flag" on the end of a pin. You can easily heat it up with an oxy torch and "bend it straight" again but that won't totally fix the problem which is that the hardware securing the pin is damaged/incomplete. I think there should be a spacer that fits in the hole in the pin flag plus a large diameter thick washer and a smaller washer underneath the head of the bolt in your photo. Again a Serial Number is key.

  5. #5Cat 3362026-02-01 13:24

    Thanks for the response; I did find the #

  6. #6Cat 3362026-02-01 14:11
  7. #7Cat 3362026-02-01 14:17

    I did get a dew more pictures up; I hope that helps better evaluate the situation; thanks everyone for the help. Can anyone tell me what the 2 lines coming down the boom are that connect into block near buck assuming hydraulics/grease? To keep those pins greased some kind of actuator? Thanks everyone been a huge help so far; just try to get a few more inputs on weather this machine in condition it is could hold a slope value; or bucket not falling off on me; be putting a lot into it already if I bought it.

  8. #8CM19952026-02-01 14:41

    Those are quick coupler lines. Ours has a horn mounted on the block if anyone is wondering. It's used to let the drivers hear the beep when the truck is loaded. From the few pictures you have posted OP it appears this machine has not been treated nor maintained well.

  9. #9Cat 3362026-02-01 15:07

    Thank you for reply; pins on the machine I am looking at are dry and caked with mud from digging in and making ponds; I dont see them getting any fluidity; could that be the case for the structural integrity? If I may ask what are the valves on the side of the boom that cables are going into; is that for Grade 2D positioning? The one I am looking at the wires dont go into that box; looks as though they bypassed it or just disconnected it altogether.

  10. #10Cat 3362026-02-01 15:31

    Thanks; got it done; and learned something today.

  11. #11crane operator2026-02-01 15:35

    Glad I could help. If new to equipment- a 336 is a pretty big excavator, and isn't going to be cheap to transport. Before making that kind of investment, post up a bunch of pictures of the machine here. There's a lot of guys here with years of experience, and its free advice. Also- pay a independent mechanic to do a couple hour inspection of the machine. You may not like what he has to say, but better to hear it before you buy it. What's your main business right now?

  12. #12CM19952026-02-01 16:08

    Think that is an older form of 2D maybe GPS not sure as the ones on our 325 Next Gen are different.

  13. #13Nige2026-02-01 17:22

    This particular machine was built on the 8th July 2014. The S/N tells me there are no spacers for that pin hardware. I was thinking there were. The boss on the machine structure is intended to protrude slightly past the pin flag then a large thick washer sits tight on the end of the boss and is held in position by a bolt. In that way the pin can float a hair from side to side while at the same time putting little or no strain on the bolt. See the first image. Imagine if that pin flag was straight instead of bent. There are two small-ish washers installed right now where there should be one large (1-1/2" diameter x 1/4" thick) one. See Ref #23 on the parts diagram. Note that the hardware for both locations is all metric threads. Now see this illustration of the hardware holding the bucket pin. Again imagine that pin flag being straight instead of banana-shaped. If washer #25 on the previous photos was hefty the correct washer for this pin flag is even larger. See Ref #5, the correct washer here is close to 2" in diameter and 3/8" thick. With a fair amount of heat and a large hammer both of those pin flags should straighten out pretty easily.

  14. #14Cat 3362026-02-01 18:14

    I will have to get with him and do more digging he is a bit sketchy on details as well or doesnt know much about it. I do know it has what looks like a CNSS receiver on top of cab; black; small dome shape. I always thouht you had to have 2 of receivers to lock on and for readings for true sat positioning and info on terrian though? But still learning the ropes. Thanks for your input

  15. #15Cat 3362026-02-01 18:16

    Awesome; you gave me a lot to work with and base some of my decision on; like others have said transport can get expensive as well. Appreciate your time.

  16. #16CM19952026-02-01 18:24

    I have 2 GPS machines a D3 and 325 both Next Gen. Both machines have 2 receivers. We are running Trimble.

  17. #17Cat 3362026-02-01 18:40

    However; in this case as is; it would be putting a ton of strain on it correct? Until getting the proper dia. spacer for that boss; due to the huge amount of play.

  18. #18Nige2026-02-01 18:48

    There won't necessarily be a lot of strain even with the pin flags in the condition they are in right now. If there was it would have already broken the retaining bolts. You can't install the larger thicker retaining washers that should be there until the pin flags have been straightened out. At the same time i would suggest fitting new bolts.

  19. #19Cat 3362026-02-01 22:27

    Thanks; appreciate it; I want to slowly start to get into doing my own work; would like to do simple pond excavation and learn more as I go along; thats why all the questions. And in Michigan I heard you dont need to be licensed contractor; but you do have to take class and pass an exam. Just trying to earn some money as an independent in these hard times.

  20. #20Shimmy12026-02-01 22:35

    These times aren't hard. I think every contractor here in ND might be able to hire a good operator for $90-125k per year.