Let me preface this by saying I don't know **** about heavy equipment but I am very fluent mechanically. I am an ASE master tech blah blah blah I can fix anything with an engine. But this is big boy stuff I understand that. I purchased about 1,000 acres on the TN/NC border and I want to make my own side by side road racing track for personal use then maybe open it up later if the county will let me. Basically something the size of road atlanta but just dirt and for side by sides. So I have a contact with a 4 axle low boy that can move up to 80,000 lbs for free within reasonable distance if he can get the route approved, that's not my issue. I want a big *** track loader just because I like cool **** and it is going to stay on the property as art work after I'm done with it most likely. I'm fine with taking my sweet time repairing stuff if I can even figure out how to work on something that heavy. So my question is as a newbie am I better off going with a old school 983 or a newer 973? I am ok spending up towards $40,000. I've seen some high hours 2000+ year 973 for $40k and under, and I've seen some lower hour but much older 983 for $20k and under. I definitely want to stay pre-emissions, what is going to be my most reliable bang for the buck model year wise? I am not using it for a business, it doesn't need to be moved around on a trailer, I just want to rough out this track with it and maintain the track every now and then.
973. The 983 engine is under the loader is a pain to work on. Engine in rear much easier safer etc
Ok, is there a specific year 973 that is best pre-emissions? I.e. was there any significant changes I need to be aware of or stay away from?
Unless you are experienced working on hydrostatic drive transmissions I'd stay well away from a 973. The rear-engined hydrostatic-drive loaders can be very maintenance & repair-intensive, and expensive to fix. If you check out the threads in this section - mostly about 953/963 but applies equally to a 973 - you will see the subject of drive issues comes up on a regular basis. Below are a couple of threads that have appeared over the past couple of months........ HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums The 983 with its powershift transmission and hydraulic steering clutches & brakes is a much less complex machine, although as posted above access into the engine bay can often be somewhat of a challenge. To resolve that issue safely requires the correct brace for the lift arms.
Ok, so the question is, which is going to need less work. The engine of a 983 or the hydrostatic transmission of a 973 lol. Considering the 983 is going to be like a 1977-1982 and I can get a 1998-2004 973 I wonder which is more likely to make a lap around the property issue free. This is mostly going to be knocking down trees and dragging them out and then roughing out a road. It would be nice to have the winch on the back. What engine is in the later 983 vs the 973 and what common issues do they have? Am I going to need to go through the IP and injectors on either or are they fairly bombproof pre-emissions?
Either one is a used machine so who knows what problems you'll run into. Loaders this size are bought to do heavy hard work and are often abused. If you need to do the undercarriage will cost as much as the machine or more. Crawlers are considered money pits and looking at the biggest track loaders could be considered the Fort Knox of money pits! For what you want to do a dozer might be a better option or possibly a couple different machines like a dozer and a wheel loader. It you want a loader a 977L might be a better choice and much more common than a 983. This could be a big advantage as used and aftermarket parts would be more accessible. Anything with steel tracks would be slow for maintenance and if the course is any length would wear out the undercarriage in a hurry. Maybe even a AG tractor with a box blade or something would be better for maintaining the track and need only basic maintenance like a truck. You'll need a water truck too if the track is dirt and try to incorporate drainage. A road grader might be a good option as well.
I guess my question is how would a big dozer be less of a money pit than a track loader? Aren't they effectively the same thing just one has a bucket that goes higher? I just figured track loader because it can do more tricks than a dozer can but still get the basic thing a dozer does done. Maybe I'm missing something there. I agree with you on maintenance I'm not going to use the big toy for that, honestly this is going to be a one time use project. I just need the big toy to rough out the main track one time after the big heavy stuff is out of the way I can use smaller equipment to keep it up. Also this is side by sides not ferraris, they can handle some imperfections and water traps lol. Think hot wheels track with figure 8's and loops (not really but pretty much) lol. Also just pointing out the track loaders seem MUCH cheaper than a comparable size dozer probably because of the reasons you stated, but I only need it to work one time so if I have to eat some repairs it seems like I'll be starting out a lot lower to begin with. I just need a rig that can knock down trees and either bury them or drag them to a pile and then level out a flatish path through 900ish acres one time.
I don't think you want too big of a track for side by sides. They'd be worn out in short order. They aren't made for sustained flat out driving like a car. For making roads or a long track a dozer is better. Depending on the size of tree's a D6 or D7 size might be a good choice. A loader could be OK too but you were looking at the biggest most expensive loaders. A winch is much more common on a dozer. Repairs on a track machine are nothing like repairs on a passenger vehicle. You need a jack or hoist for just about everything and access can be difficult at best. If looking at loaders look for something more common like a 977. Lots of them out there. A 955 will still get a lot of work done.
I agree with Welder Dave, get a true Dozer, D6 C would be a good one, then opt to a Motor Grader for really flattening out what need be and to final grade. If absolutely need a loader tractor a 941 or 955 would be much better suited to Newbie Techniques and Learning curves. Money is easier as for services or minor repairs than either the 983 or 973, a 963 with well worn undercarriage is gonna take $12-$20K just to put into the realm of functionally good. I have a mid range Allis Chalmers HD7G similar in size to a in-between 941/955 series. Does well for an old wrench bender determined to make his own grade work. It is not a dozer is a loader, will handle some dozer type work but full dozer is better suited.
Does the loader make more sense if the terrain is hilly? I'm fine going dozer they look cooler anyways but I'm just imaging having to dig through some hilly stuff to make it flatter. We're talking some hills and 100 year old trees here which is why I was thinking bigger toy.
Talk to those that deal in this business as are here Massive machines take tons of effort to move or work with Tend to have poor feel in tighter conditions a 983 takes a big swath to turn where rails dig hard due to weight on rails where will spend as much time cleaning up what it mangles. Perfectly suited to huge high volume sites not so much the hobbyist. Also know bigger may look tougher yet also takes more maintenance and fuel, parts more expensive where with older machines will need more of. Takes as you noted a specialized hauler and when done unless another willing to do similar with it will become yardamentation. Is reasoning most large scale excavation companies have more dozers than loaders and more excavators than the other two.
Gotcha. Ok well dozer it is then. What is the best bang for the buck with enough power and weight to move some big boy stuff out of the way?
Can you post some pics. of what you're dealing with? A dozer has a lower center of gravity than a loader.
It's pretty much what you would imagine, mostly wooded mountain terrain. Are there any certain years changes features or models that are good/bad want or stay away from? Should I stick with cat or is there other options that are better? The dozers are much more valuable than the loaders I worry i'll pay more and have the same **** worn out.
Best to pay an experienced mechanic to check out any potential machine. Cat machines have better parts support and the larger dozers are powershift and not hydrostatic. I think a D6C or D6D would be good choice. Maybe a D7F or D7G but depends largely on overall condition and undercarriage life left. Might be better to pay a little more for decent undercarriage. Another option might be to talk to your local Cat dealer. They may know someone with a decent older dozer for sale.
given a choice I`d take a 983 over any dozer built provided I had solid ground to run it on
At some 70,000# It would stick in pretty much anything resembling Soft!! As noted above, PHOTOS, type terrain?, expected rock?, structure or woodland? Best thing to remember of Dozing, make multiple passes and cuts where less is more and when cut a 'Lift' then pushed to a spoil pile make another. Do not try to go deep cut as Blade full as that does not work, use the blade 'Mold Board' for intent of keeping shallower cut spoil in the blade line and ability to make decent cuts develops quicker. Loaders are fine if have a truck or trailer to haul off spoil, using the machine as a digger/hauler just eats up undercarriage, fuel and time. Watch operators on sites around you, even in the loose materials at mine or quarry overburden or work pile repositions.
The other problem is experience. If you're fairly green running big equipment you can make a big mess a lot faster than you can make a finished product. I've seen people rent skid steers thinking they're saving money over hiring it out. They spend 3 times longer to do a 1/3 of a job.
I have some friends that own excavation companies that are willing to show me the ropes, I just want to learn, the more skills you have the better off life will be in my opinion. I just turned 34 and been building stuff with my hands my whole life so I plan on doing that till I die. I just like cool stuff because life is short. Side note, I came across a friend that has a D9L for sale says he'll give it to me cheap it has good undercarriage like 8,000 hours I trust this guy. Is there anything wrong with a 3412 engine or the 100,000 lbs weight?
Cool and Mining sized equipment do not equal out. A 9L will need tons of fuel, will not be much better than the 983, just huge heavy and damaging just to run. If looking to make Highway cuts is a useful machine. If have to have a BIG machine try your friend's unit out first, then make your decisions. Buying on the whim & fly is foolish.
A D9L fits in the go big or go home category but at least you have 900 acres unlike the guy who bought 2 mining excavators for 5 acres or something. Any repair on a D9L is going to be expensive and I agree on the fuel use. It has a 255 gallon fuel tank which if similar to other Cat machines would give about 12 hours+- of work depending on conditions. It would really make a mess in a hurry with an inexperienced operator. If it ever got stuck you'd have a big ornament. https://ccmodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/D9Lv2-Track-Type-Tractor-specs-1.pdf
Yeah but it has a V12 lol
I found a 1998 Dresser TD15E near me that has been supposedly totally rebuilt, has the 8.3 cummins with again supposedly 100 hours on a new engine and undercarriage for like $20k with a bunch of spare parts. Does that sound like a good choice? Has a winch and ROPS with cage screen for the brush.
That could be a good candidate. Some of the members with IH experience will know more.
My choice would be a 953 - A,B or C model. A decent 953 can be bought in the $20-40K range in the southeast as loaders are very popular for a reason - abundant clay and heavy rain. Bought my 953C BBX variant new in 2004. Put a new Cat UC on it last Dec at 6500 hrs. If the loader has been taken care of and you take care of it the machine will do what you want it to do and parts are more readily available. Not many 973's around compared to 953's and 963's, I don't remember the last time I even saw a 988 in person. Dozers work great for grade work and looking at buying a new D5 soon to be D3 per Cat's re-badging. However dozers do one thing great and that's it - push. A dozer can't drag, lift or carry like a track loader. It's a slow process but I can lay storm pipe with just a track loader - can't do that with a dozer for example.
That's what I was thinking.....
I think with anything you need have some money set aside for repairs so it's not such a shock when something needs repairs. A 953 would be a better choice than a 973 but still a risk if something in the hydrostatic trans. went wrong.
Again I just need it to work for maybe 3 miles. Appreciate all the advice y'all have been very helpful.
There are dozens of threads, MANY Pages long as to what it takes to keep Older machines viable and functional. I will be the first to note in many instances is cheaper to Hire It Out if have no concept of what are doing. In the long run you have no machine to take time away, you have paid roughly the same amount of finances out without having a large Yardamentation you cannot be rid of and the project done On Time with Great Results where maintaining can be accomplished with far less costly equipment. One old timer that gets on here has a Notation to ALL his posts: Tits Tyres and Tracks, all Cost Big Money.
Yeah but it's not about the economics, it's about the accomplishment experience memories and just fun for me.
When it comes to eating or not it is about the economics. More than one of us here has been down that road buying something we should have ignored.
Heard that, but I won't have that problem. Thanks for the advice.
If it’s about the experience, accomplishment and memories find a nice D6D or similar. Simple to work on, parts are available aftermarket and they’re not bad price wise upfront. Pay Cat or a good mechanic to give it a look before you buy. A dozer will get the track roughed in then you can rent something to dress it up. Once it’s right you can probably maintain with a good size tracked skid steer. I’ve cared for a lot of different fleet sizes and I can tell you that the big machines are money pits if not maintained. If a big track loader or dozer fall into your price range....it’s more than likely wore out. That 3412 engine would cost you way more than the purchase price if it decided to throw up. If you’ve got friends in the dirt business maybe contract them to do the work with the stipulation you get seat time. Then you can buy a nice tracked skid steer to maintain it. I get what you want to do, everybody here does, but we’ve also seen good money thrown after bad. More than once I spent a years salary on parts to get a machine back to work that was supposed to be a “great deal”.
Wot he said ........... ^^^^^^^^^^
No one here is trying to be negative. These machines you are dreaming or thinking of can be bought cheap because of the market and resale value, repair bills etc. I do alot of land clearing myself. A cat 963 b or c can push way more brush you can think of but they get stuck easily in the woods. Im in central Missouri n lately i been clearing with a CTL n tree shear not wanting to tear ground up. The cat 963 b or c are making a huge mess regarding of operater experience because ground is so soft. They all tell me they gotta be careful n belly out before you know it. A complete undercarriage for a 963 is about $14,000. I wouldn't be surprised a.973 or 983 be around $20,000alone. I was seriously considering getting a 973C to do la d clearing. Having a triple axle lobby and a semi truck with a pusher on it to haul it but it weighs 60,000 lbs. I personally think for land clearing n clean up a track loader is the way to go. Take your time n get all dirt out of roots etc. Small light brush pile push on the long pushes can really save transmission/hydrostatic vs a.dozer transmission can handle long heavy hard pushes. You gotta operate them what they are designed for. You can do.grade with a track loader but it takes skills n i have personally done it but you gotta know the machine. No offense you need to slow down some n run equipment for awhile before buying one n you will get the real idea whats its really like. I had a guy told me this Monday. He bought a deere 555G loader to clean up his 100 acerd farm. He regretted it n was way Cheper to hire someone to do the work in a week in a 963 vs himself in a month time
Three whole miles, not much of a challenge to a typical grade contractor. Likely have that track cut and dressed out in two or three days if hand them a decent design layout. If just Imagineering will take days to weeks of playing and change ups where using fuel and hours on machine will not be economical in any sense. Local grade contractor hogged and rocked the roads into our place, only a half mile worth, took less than two days total where was finished when left. Cost was less than half what I paid for a used tracked loader that I used for other projects. In the long run I needed a hobby and in extended use ended up buying a second machine for parts then spending a winter rehabbing the machine for function. Can tell you a lighter smaller machine will do more variable work and finish out less destructively where end game is I have as much in the machine as would have paid the contractors to do what I was performing. It is still a worn out Old machine and value is only as far as a buyer will pay for. That and I had been a mechanic on machines as this for over twenty years where already had much of the tooling/skills.
It is one of those jobs where an experienced crew could come in and get it done properly 10-50 times faster than you could even imagine. There are contractors that specialize in track building too and can help you lay it out based on the layout of the land. They take drainage and other factors into account. If you want a machine for clearing tree's over time is one thing where it doesn't have to be too precise but is dangerous. Building a track requires a lot more precision. You think it's neat to do it yourself but having experts come in saves so much hassle, frustration and time.
There is no substitute for real-life experience. Find yourself a power shift D-6 or D-7 with a winch. Open an account with the local (at the track) Cat dealer. Install a diesel tank and pump in the bed of your truck. You will find that a dozer will do more work moving dirt and clearing trees than a loader. Buy some good hearing protection, and pack a good lunch. After a day or two of dozing, you will have a list of the other stuff you need. You will work hard and have a blast. Regards, Clark
I own a 973c, i do land clearing and excavation. If you want to buy a big loader, find a good loader and buy it. I was going through the stages of purchasing a machine just like you and a bunch of people on here told me to give it up, buy something smaller etc. Put in your due diligence, get oil samples, check for leaks, blow by, hydraulic strength, spin the tracks around. inspect the frame for any cracks. And take the plunge. My machine is a higher hour unit, but it was a fleet vehicle for a company with multiple machines. I had service records, and the knowledge to operate it. I drove 7 hours to go test it, paid them to get oil samples done, bought the machine. And haven't looked back, the diversity of a track loader is far superior to any other piece of equipment. Land clearing, excavating, grading, demolition, loading trucks, there is nothing that can compete with a track loader. The only thing i wish i could do was dig a vertical hole, without making ruts, and being able to dig in water logged areas. That is where an excavator has the advantage. I have a thread in here as well with my experience, since i have owned it i have had a couple break downs, the drive motor output shaft seal was toast, and pressurized the final drive, and the pump pressures were WAY off, that was $10,000 bill, i blew the main hydraulic line in the middle of winter, $160 hose repair, and $200 of oil, carrier roller bearing failed $350, and now one of the tilt cylinders needs a repack. When big things go wrong, it goes wrong in spectacular fashion, but just do preventive maintenance, and DON'T procrastinate. It'll only cost you more in the end. I have used the machine for quite a few hours on the farm, it has pretty well paid for itself, including the repairs just for the work it has done for myself, let alone the work that ive done for others. Here's a picture of a job i did with my loader that not ONE other piece of equipment could've completed nearly as efficiently.
My advice would be to find a good 953B or 936B. I can definetly understand wanting to do it yourself and have that experience, and I'm betting with nearly 1000 acres, you will find plenty or work to keep the machine busy even after the track is built. A 4 in 1 bucket (pretty easy to find in your region) might be nice because you can grab stumps and logs easier. My family's companies own probably 20 track loaders, mostly 53s and 63s, and one 973. The 973 is a great machine and I do really like running it, but I don't think you need a machine that large. We've had a lot of problems getting our hystat pumps and motors on the 73 rebuilt properly. Our Cat dealer can't seem to get them right anymore, all the old guys that did it retired. There's a place in Knoxville that we've used more recently, but have had some trouble with their stuff, too. They do warranty it, though. The drive components on a 953 or 963 (A or B series) will likely last close to 20,000 hrs. if well taken care of. They are definetly more reliable and a better overall hydrostatic design than the C and newer models.
a serviceable 977K/L and the big brother 983 both are getting harder to find..at least one that will give you good service and not be a total waste due to breakdowns; most are at least 40yrs old and will have some issues with heavy use. My advice is to rent equipment first, get it in there and use it building your track and see what works best for what you want to do..off-camber hilly terrain is NOT the place for a 977 or 983,thats for sure..better off with a mid-range dozer..easily rentable and delivered
From what I can see reading through the thread it was nothing more than a d1ck-swinging contest, nowt to do with what type of machine was the best to do the work in question. "I've got a bigger one than yours."
Be aware the early 977L had 8" pitch dry rails (cheaper) latter it changed to 81/2" SALT track rails.
I have one early 977L and two 977k's use same track but different engines. The L's 3306 engine continued till the end of production.
I like things done my way. If you learn what good track look like. You can wait for a truly good deal. Have a dealer near you (CAT is the best for old machines IMO) have them check it out. Go there with them and bring your smartest preferably experienced buddy. Then go for it. Loader for everything. Excavator and 6 way bulldozer if your made of money.
How long will a new undercarriage last on a 983 with average use? I have an early 955L with the small tracks that wore out it's OEM set in about 3000 hours, and we've been patching it together for another 1000 with new rollers, sprocket segments and removing a link. I need a larger machine for what we are going to do, and I see a 983 not too far away, can anyone tell me how long they've seen a 983 undercarriage last? I don't want a hydrostatic machine, it's either a 977L or a 983B and both are hard to find
What kind of sand pile are you in? Do you run the tracks banjo string tight as well? New rails from Cat on a 955k/l should go at least 4000 hours before major issues, a 977 or 983 you will not see better life as weight of machine degrades the rails as fast as anything. Are you travelling a great deal with this machine loaded? Are you pushing speed on the rails? ALL will lead to premature failure. These machines are designed to be in One spot, load haul equipment and then move as cut moves, travelling at higher speeds eats up rails. Bigger does NOT mean lasts longer, just costs more, like Double the cost for rails 955k/l
The soil is not especially abrasive. This machine has traveled and pushed a lot during it's life, it was purchased for landfill operation, pushed trash, dug trenches, hauled and spread cover. Now we're doing a clean fill site, need to clear trees and handle dump trucks dumping. The 955l is just too small for a triaxle load of rough rock or concrete, it's working way too hard and beating up the undercarriage and bucket, plus the big trees are a challenge to get down then handle once down. I was afraid a bigger machine would be harder on tracks, if the wear is similar per hour or per bucket full handled that makes the decision easier. I was thinking a D7 or D8 would be perfect size, then realized a 983 is the size of a D8 plus it will be a lot more multipurpose than a dozer.
Phill I know you said you didn't want a hydro machine but for just sake of conversation my 953C BBX 2004 model has been at our clean fill site since April handling all the dirt, concrete and asphalt from a big arena job we've working on since the end of March. We've hauled approx. 20,000 CY's of dirt and several 1,000 CY's of concrete and asphalt to our dump with a couple 1,000 more to go. Since I'm the "boss" and flexible my duty was to handle the dump push off. At the height of hauling on the arena project we had 15 trucks running 150-180 loads a day. The 953 handled like a champ however a 15'+ fill depth helped. Replaced the undercarriage last year at around 5K+ hours with the first 1000 hours being in very abrasive chert. Went with all Cat OEM as we got such great wear out the factory set. That 953C has handled everything we've thrown at it. I'd love to have a 953K but they are $$$ pricey.
I think Cat originally said a hydrostat machine is almost twice as productive as a similar size torque converter machine.
When did they switch from power shift to hydrostatic. I feel like the hydro is easier to drive but obviously has more stuff to fail.
Cat shifted to hydro with the rear engine 3 series machines in the early '80's. I don't know the exact year. Personally I think the hydrostatic loaders are very reliable and the increase in production far outweighs any benefit a powershift loader could offer. Just my $.02
So I'm looking at a 963 as a compromise. Any recommendations on the best year or series to get?
First for the Cat branded loaders Hydro drive were ?81? IIRC, Deere had Hydrostats back in the mid 80s. IF are wanting a strictly Mechanically operated unit, Plain Label 963 or a 'A' or 'B' series will be the only ones. C series is all electro hydraulic controls.
I agree with DMiller if it's going to be an occasional use machine an "A" or B model is the way to go. Lot's of electronics on my 953C. However nothing major has went wrong in 7K hours - knocks on wood..
JD had hydrostat loaders in 1976. Cat had the 953 in 1981 to replace the 951C and the 955L was also still available. I've got a brochure somewhere where they compare the 953 to the 951C instead of the 955L. I'd guess to make the 953 look even better even though it was more comparable to the 955L. Cat probably thought some customers would be leery of a hydrostat machine and didn't want to just drop their most popular track loader. The one thing they should have done was put the 3304 from the 955L into the first 953's instead of the 3204.
So I saw where the deere 755 is basically just a Liebherr 632 between 2000 and 2010, is that a good alternative to a cat 963? Also at the end of the day if I have to grade in a road up a steep hill am I better off just using a dozer and excavator combo instead of the track loader? I feel like I'm hoping for too much out of one machin the more I think about how it would get done.
Track loader is more versatile for a lot of different jobs. I'd stay away from the Liebherr/JD. Cat is way more popular if you ever need service or repair help and you will.
If I could only have one machine to put food on the table it would be a trackloader.. Ditto on stay away from Liebherr. However I would like to try out the JD built Deere loaders and I'm a Cat guy.
Will say this, a Full set Undercarriage, Rollers, Segments, Idlers and rails/shoes for a 963 just installed at a local grade contractor was $25,500, and THEY installed their own, JUST Parts, 4870 hours on old UC 90% dirt work. FULL UC for a 973 or 983 regardless will be close to or over $30k, aftermarket will be less but last 1/3 average less time and need a crane to install.
I had the Cat house do our 953's UC last year and was around $25K - Cat parts with labor to install. FYI
Is a 953 going to be able to handle some decent size trees? Any benefit on the 963 vs 953 choice?
963 is a Commercial production machine requires oversize equipment to even haul. It is doable but expensive, 953 is more nimble and easier maneuvered either in transport or use. If you need a Dozer for clearing and loader for spoil get Both, neither do the other's job very well. A 955K/L with a secondary D6 or D7 would be more functional than either a single 963 or 983 or a 953 by themselves.
I disagree unless you have 2 people to operate the 955 and D6/7. A lot can be done with a 953, I've seen myself do it.
Still looking around, what are your thoughts on just getting a big backhoe like a JCB 4CX and just working away at it over time?
Watched two old men years ago, one surveyed and set up sights, the two drove the haul equipment to site set up the D7(17A) and 955k first guy went to next site and second guy ran the dozer first cleared to piles, used 955k for close in work and when needed materials set to dump trucks. Was faster than a man strictly on either but had been doing it that way forever.
I still think a track loader for an all around machine is a good choice. If you want to wrestle some big trees, loaders can lift up high to push. Going downhill with a heavy machine can do some serious damage. But to put a tree just were you want it an excavator just can't be beat. But it isn't a good road maker. Now in the hills a dozer with a 6 way blade, (or the old manual angle blade) now that can make you some nice roads. But she only drags logs. Can't pick logs up or move other materials around. Sure is nice if you can have more than one machine when you have old ones like me. One can help you fix the other. I can tell you they don't make them as durable as they used to. Can you get parts? Can you refurbish the old ones? Do you have the smarts and the patience to find a good one. To me Cat made some real good ones.
If you went the 2 machine route (and there are many different routes) a D7 Like Dmiller's example is a big enough machine to push over a really good size tree. (Same frame I think as a 977 L or maybe K). Especially if you use a ripper on a backhoe to dig out any big roots. I am a hobbyist I like old machines. Like to run and work on them. I'm retired have time and "some" extra money. Like others have said if you want to, just go for it. Also, as you've been doing, and others have said. Ask questions, try some machines out. See if you can get some seat time helping someone out, for free. Go visit a land clearing project like yours over time to see how its done. Start to finish. Best words I heard too late. Don't touch your land till you've seen it trough all 4 seasons. Don't just rip into your land it took nature a long time to get it into what you have now. Don't think I'll never get a deal like this again. Leave a really low offer and keep looking and learning. Starting small is a good idea for most people. My first ever ride (after I test drove it) was a 1958 IH TD15 Drott loader for $4000. It worked out no big expenses no big risk. Rocky land. Hilly land. It was a big job pushing over a big oak with those triple grousers (Not enough traction could of used 2 bar). Wanted a bigger machine pretty soon, well a few years, ok many. I was lucky with that machine. Bought a small skid steer with metal tracks, that helped clean up the mess the big one made. Anyhow I wanted to put up a picture of old D7 angle blade. Got to be a hard baby to adjust I could loan you my little skid steer. Lol It has hydraulic tilt I believe most came manual.
Just mount that blade on your 977 and turn it into a dozer. Sounds simple right? Well not so much but can be done, Would definitely want to narrow it up a little.
It would be a great project! But I'm a Shawn1958 and not so sure I have the time for that one!
Am a Bit Beyond you as to time, know getting to where can run machines but body becoming less capable to maintain and repair same.