I'm looking at buying a 2006 Doosan 340 excavator with 1700 hours. The machine is in great condition and has a nice thumb. I really don't know anything about these machines though. Any feedback would be great! Thanks
Before I start, all cheaper manufacturers have come a long way. They are a load better than they were... However, IMO, if you intend to do anything heavy or arduous, ripping or breaking etc, they will not stand it. I had so many problems from a similar age 340 and 470 back in he uk. They were nothing but trouble. For my bucks worth, I'd choose an older cat/liebherr/Deere. Now I'll run and hide from the stones coming my way from the jap fans!
Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to be using the machine primarily for demolition. I was pretty set on this machine but now I'm really questioning it. Any other opinions?
We've got a 300 lc. It's been a Very reliable machine for us. Our sits in a pit digging caliche and all I've done is service it and friction seals in one final drive in the last year and a half
Simon, They'll be throwing stones at you for lumping Doosans in with the Japanese. They are Korean.
What year is your 300 lc and how many hours? I appreciate your input.
10 or 11 I believe and it's got 5500-6000 hrs I think
LOL ! …. I think he was referring to the fact he only mentioned CAT, Liebherr, and JD …… And even tho CAT's use Mitsi engines and JD is Hitachi …. but I guess that doesn't count …. LOL … Sorry couldn't resist ….
Yeah yeah... Ok, to add a little salt to my wounds... As you say, The older hitachi hoes are strong as an old ox. Jap, Korean, close! Now I am going to hide! FYI, the doosans we had trouble with we're ripping limestone and handling a large hammer. 11-12 hour days 5 1/2 days a week.
Simon Buddy !!! …. I Was trying to stick up for you ! …… Kinda like a Blocker for those Stones …….. It's just that someone misinterpreted What "SIMON-SAYS" ….. LOL !!! …… Cheers Fellow Canuck !
Good day mxsledder It may be helpful visit youtbe and type in the search excatech.com, most excavators seem to be produced in Asia today a common recipe is that of Kawaski pumps and valve chest produced under licence, tracks mostly made in China. By and large engines are Cummins oriented although some are from Japanese makers. In real terms the choice of manufacturer is some what limited. Kind regards Uffex
We had some low-hour Doosans of around about that age range the OP is considering brought in to do an earthmoving project some years ago because they were all that was available at very short notice. What a POS. We'd have been better with 1,000 men with picks and shovels. The only way the local dealer here sells new Doosans is to offer them on "no money down, no payments for 6 months" financing.
Does anyone else have any more opinions on this machine? And what do you guys think this machine is worth in good condition? Thanks
On a whole I like Doosan stuff. I don't think they have the longevity that some others have By that I mean you don't see a lot of high hour units. But they are a good unit on a whole. Truthfully I think the longevity of all brands has went downhill due to increased electronics and emissions. Think a new cat 349 will still be digging 30 years later like the 235's are? Will any currently produced skidloader even come close to the reliability and service life of a case 1845c? I think currently your better off renting what is optimal for whatever your doing and sending it directly back than you are amassing millions of dollars worth of iron, just so you can send it back to the dealer to have some electrical problem fixed.
We had a 350 and had lots of small problems and the power was not there. Also how well can the dealer support it. Our local dealer does not handle them any more so we sold and got a cat .