Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need electrical schematic for CAT 420 D

verng ยท 2016-10-24 14:50

My battery keeps going dead and I need a schematic to trace down any current draws. Battery has been recharged fully and tested, but keeps draining after a few days even with a solar trickle charger on it. Serial # CAT8420DJFDP21862 any advise would be appreciated also! Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Billrog2016-10-24 16:36

    The battery in my Case would drain down some times after a few days some times wks. couldn't find the draw so I installed a lock out switch. If there's a bad diode in the alternator this can drain the battery yet show charging while running just a shot in the dark. This was an experience I had with a pick-up.

  2. #2Cmark2016-10-24 18:25

    Are you turning the master switch off?

  3. #3verng2016-10-24 19:30

    Serial number is posted in original post. Don't know if a master switch. Just turning off the ignition switch like it has worked for years with no issues.

  4. #4Nige2016-10-25 07:31

    I suppose it could be no more than a tired battery getting to the end of its life. You don't have enough posts yet for the PM system to be activated but I have emailed you via HEF. Respond to that email and I'll gladly fire you off a copy of the electrical schematic to suit your machine.

  5. #5verng2016-10-25 09:54

    I replaced the battery and it is fully charged and tested. Thx for the schematic.

  6. #6Dickjr.2016-10-25 17:10

    How old was the other battery that you replaced? I get about 8 years out of one on my 416C.

  7. #7verng2016-10-25 17:53

    Not sure. I charged it and it tested bad.