Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need for a professional timber faller?

MacTimberFalling ยท 2018-06-08 16:38

Hi all, Im new here. Basically im considering starting a side gig as a professional timber faller and was wondering if there was a need for such a service among heavy equip businesses, most likely excavating companies. Now Im not Joe Schmoe with a chainsaw. Im an experienced faller with pro-grade saws, insurance, and ability to directionally fall timber. Im not a tree company, im much less expensive ($40/hr, 3hr min, clock starts when i start sawing, no travel or hidden fees). The reason im asking here is that this would be a side hustle and im trying to do some market research. Im a career wildland firefighter and want to make money of my skillset during my off season and free time. Im not a tree climber or trying to start my own forestry business. I want to cut trees for what I think Im worth (based on my govt saw qualifications and hourly rates in the logging industry). Does this sound like a service youd be interested it?

Replies5
  1. #1DIYDAVE2018-06-08 19:57

    Always room fer a smart feller... Gotta be better than james... Seriously, welcome to HEF!

  2. #2MacTimberFalling2018-06-08 20:07

    Thanks, I appreciate the reply! Ive seen that james video before, ridiculous! Anyhow, I teach sawing and cut very large, dangerous trees at my day job. The contractor Ive been working for on the side for years has been getting me for cheap. Now I want to go out on my own, but as a pure faller not part of a forestry business. Like I said, I think advertising to HE businesses might be a possible in? I don't want to do this full time, but I can def put a lot of trees down in a hurry and my understanding is that good handfallers are harder to come by as logging shrinks as an industry.

  3. #3Ashley522018-10-10 04:00

    As an owner of a Certified Tree Farm, I would say most operations are using feller buncher's for cutting these days, EXCEPT on steep ground where a yarder is needed. Old growth would be another reason for hand logging but hopefully that isn't happening anymore. Should always leave the biggest healthiest trees for propagation. I would recommend getting with a yarder operation and see if they have any openings. Or maybe even a helicopter logging operation.

  4. #4f311fr12018-10-12 18:04

    We work in Nahville TN. We have to have a tree cut at least once a week. Howeve these are on small urban lots and many times the trees are taller than the lots are long or wide. So they clip them in sections.

  5. #5Skeans12018-10-19 23:24

    Even on steep ground hand fallers are becoming extinct with tethering and size of timber anymore.