Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need good mufflers

dallou ยท 2013-01-25 00:51

any one out there know of a good muffler i can put on a 6v71 detroit. i need to quite it down the factory muffler was farly quite on my timberjack 2500 wheel loader. but it rotted out so i put 2 5x26 inch mufflers instead but didnt even come close to making it quite any help would be great.

Replies7
  1. #1Steve Frazier2013-01-25 03:59

    They don't call them screamers for nothing! I can't say I've ever heard a quiet 2 stroke Detroit.

  2. #2TOM V2013-01-25 06:59

    Try DELUXE MACHINE in Batavia NY, should be the same mufler as a Trojan 2500. Good luck.

  3. #3fast_st2013-01-25 07:09

    Good luck, that'll be like trying to quiet down an airstrike. Most of the mufflers for a detroit are mostly straight through due to the massive air volume. Is there any name data on the original decent mufflers? Some of the over the road trucks have a muffler with a spiral core inside that seems to work.

  4. #4Alberta2013-02-01 20:52

    Even with your new mufflers, we can still hear you 1/2 a mile away

  5. #5DeanM2013-02-24 11:37

    I had donaldson silent partners on a truck with a 8V92. They worked ok but were four times the cost of a regular muffler. Two stroke Detroit and quiet is it possible?

  6. #6markshr1512013-02-24 16:06

    In the early 80s I drove a Detroit,a friend of mine had a 671 Turbo with a little over 300 hp and a huge muffler on it. You could walk right up to the cab and not even hear it running. I think it was a 79 GMC brigadier. Also look at bus mufflers.

  7. #7dallou2013-02-27 23:05

    Hmm finally some positive feedback thnx Deanm and markshr151 ill check out both those alleys.