Need help! I have a 2006 JD 310SG with an intermittent electrical (?) issue. The backhoe has pilot controls, heat/air conditioning, ride control, and enclosed cab. What is wrong is the pilot controls work only intermittently, and when the pilot controls don't work, then the wipers, the windshield washer, the heat/air conditioning, and all the lights don't work either. Sometimes, if I turn off the ignition switch, and then restart the engine, then everything works....and sometimes just driving the backhoe, will cause everything to start working...then again, sometimes, no matter what I do..none of it will work. The backhoe starts every time, and the gauge display works fine. I have replaced the ignition switch, all the relays for the pilot controls, and checked all fuses. I have also cleaned every ground wire I can find, removed the whole fuse block to check all the connections, and checked the switches for the seat position. I can not find any broken or frayed wires, or wire sheathing that is rubbed through. I can't imagine that it is a relay, unless it is the main "starter" relay that is under the front cover behind the steering column/next to the fuse panel, as so many separate systems seem to be affected. Does anyone have any suggestion/recommendations about what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for trying to help me.
The ground cable itself may be bad. Those symptoms point to a ground problem. My old 401 JD gave me fits till I replaced the cables and since then has been fine.
bill on the hill, Thanks for the suggestion. I had already checked both the main "hot" cable from the batteries, and the ground cable. Here is what I have found out with a bit more "playing". I took my multi-tester, and when the wipers, washer, air conditioning, and pilot controls aren't working (with the key on, of course), there isn't any current from the side of the starter solenoid/relay that supplied power to parts of the fuse panel. With the wiper switch on, (key on also), I touched a wire between both large terminals of the starter solenoid/relay, (giving direct 12v to the fuse panel).....and low and behold...the wiper instantly started working. So, taking an old school idea about "sticky contacts" in relays, I hit the starter solenoid/relay a few times with the handle of a screwdriver, and now everything is working. I used the backhoe for a couple of hours, then shut it off for about an hour. When I started it again....once again, no wipers, pilot controls, etc. I just hit the starter solenoid again with the screwdriver a couple of times, and everything started to work again. SO, I would say that my starter solenoid/relay up by the fuse panel is bad. Have got one on order. Sure wish all backhoe problems were resolved this successfully....without having to haul them to the dealer. Thanks again, everyone. Will let everyone know how it goes after the new solenoid is in.
How did the new solenoid work? Any other problems with the SG?
Well to my surprise, the new solenoid fixed the problem with the pilot controls..everything works now that only worked intermittently before....the heater/air conditioner, wipers, windshield washer, and of course the pilot controls. Still having some intermittent problems with the gauge/fault code panel....it randomly goes berserk and lights up the whole panel and the fault code LCD window shows 88888888. Easy to re-set though, just turn off the key, then back on. Otherwise, all good now. Thanks everyone for your consideration of the problem, and the suggestions.
I was having the same problem with my 310sg and after reading this thread installed a new solenoid up by the fuses in the dash and problem solved. Very frustrating because it was an intermittent issue. JD part #AR73144, called a relay in the parts book.
This seems to be a common problem as i had same issue. I might add only use jd oem solenoid because i went through 3 of them from napa and other parts houses with same amp rating and it would just cook them.
I have had the same problem with my 2006 Jd310sg backhoe. I purchased a new solenoid AR73144 and it solved all the electrical problems. I can’t believe John Deere does not know this is a common problem. I had been to my dealer many times, and you can’t believe some of the suggestions I received from the mechanics. Hopefully JD will send something to their dealers so folks don’t get work done that’s not necessary.
I have a 2013 JD 310 sg that will not release the parking brake. I get the codes F405 and F407. I have replaced those solenoids and at first it seemed to work, but when I turned the seat the parking brake came back on back on, and will not release. I have read this is a common problem with the JD backhoes. I have took the seat apart in order to find any electrical problems. what do I check next?
gdbruck, welcome to HEF . Please start your own new thread with the details. F4xx codes are engine codes. Post your serial number as well.