I owned this machine for five years before I noticed that the offset of one of the rims is different from the other three. The previous owner must have replaced one of the rims and he put on this bogus one. The offset of this rim is such that the inner sidewall of the tire will rub against the side of the main frame (only when making turns). This rubbing wore the inner sidewall down to bare threads - I just noticed it and I had to replace the tire. I would like to buy a rim to match the other three, but I am having trouble finding one with the correct offset. The rim I'm looking for is a 16.5 x 9.75 with 8 lugs. The "outside spacing" (the side with the valve stem) should be 5-1/4". The "inside spacing" should be about 5-3/4". I checked all the offerings on ebay, but could not find one that matched my measurements. Could Mustang have used a special rim for this application? Or should these aftermarket rims work (they don't seem to match up, though). I found a part number stamped on one of the "good rims" - it says 16.5 x 9.75 215216595. I looked in the Mustang parts catalog, but that number is not the part number they list. Can anyone recommend a place to me where I can find a rim with the above spacings? Does anyone know of a Mustang boneyard where I could locate a used rim? Can any of you 960 owners measure your front and back spacing so I can compare to my measurements? Tried the world wide web to no avail. Thanks
I just finished buying new rims for my Cat 242B to achieve sufficient offset to install tire chains. I found lots of great wheel offset information here: https://prowlertracks.com/skid-steer-wheels/ For your Mustang 960, the factory offset is supposed to be 1.81" Outset (with the bolt plate moved towards the skid steer giving you a wider wheel stance ... see drawing below). Note that does NOT match to the dimensions that you provided (see the drawing below for a description of "Outset" and "Inset"). Here is some information on the mechanics of wheel offset from: https://rubbertrack.com/blog/how-to-read-skid-steer-wheel-offsets/ Given that your required measurements of 5-1/4" on the outside and 5-3/4" on the inside, your required offset would be calculated as approximately 0.25" Inset (i.e. 5-3/4" minus 5-1/4" = 0.5" ... divided that by 2 = 0.25"). The following wheels would likely be with 1/4" of what you require. It is probably best to contact Prowler directly to see if they can provide an accurate match to your requirements. Regards, 3CW
I would bet a lot of rims are interchangeable. What's the rim like if it you bolt on the other side?
Thank you for all that info. I'm dumb when it comes to wheel offset and it took some major study of the above links for me to understand the terminology. Now I'm embarrassed that I posted this question. The "1.81-O" that they list as stock size would not match the three matching rims that I have on my machine now. So I ended up purchasing a "zero offset" rim from Prowler - $109. See following link. I felt this would be the best match for the existing rims on my machine. It should also eliminate the "rubbing tire" problem that I'm having. Here is the rim I ordered: https://rubbertrack.com/skid-steer-...635/gehl-6635-skid-steer-wheel-offset-0-00-o/ https://rubbertrack.com/skid-steer-...635/gehl-6635-skid-steer-wheel-offset-0-00-o/
Don't feel bad ... a lot of people don't understand wheel offset ... I really did not either until I found the Prowler charts above. I'm glad that you were able to find the right wheel. For comparison, what are the measurements (offset) of the offending wheel that was rubbing?
OK, I finally measured the offending rim. The "outside spacing" is 4 inches. The "inside spacing", therefore, should be about 7 inches. I received my new "zero offset" rim from Prowler and measured it. The "outside spacing" is about 5-1/4 inch and the "inside spacing" is 5-1/2 inch. I'm beginning to think that the three matching rims on my machine are "zero offset" and I was unnecessarily worried about a 1/4 inch difference. The discrepancy could be explained by the thickness of the bolt plate, which I wasn't taking into consideration - "sweating the small stuff" as they say. Thank you "ThreeCW" for that valuable input. Now I gotta get the tire mounted on this new rim and bolt it onto my machine to see how things line up.
The new zero offset wheel should shift your tire away from the skid steer body about 1-1/4". The Prowler charts on their website has some valuable information ... and surprisingly to some that skid steer wheels / rims are not always (or often) interchangeable between equipment manufacturers. I am glad to be able to share this information on HEF.