Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help identifying a hydraulic ram flange fitting

obleck · 2020-05-22 19:52

Hi Everyone, I recently acquired a surplus 5"x48" hydraulic cylinder suitable for one that's damaged on my excavator, but it turns it it has some sort of obscure fitting for the hoses. Originally I thought it was a SAE J518/Code 1 -8 split flange, but it's not. Attached is a picture. The flange bolt holes are M8, approximately 37x32mm spacing (rectangular). The center fluid passage is bored to 25mm (maybe 1+") at the top, maybe 8-10mm deep, and drilled to 18mm into the cylinder. It could be some odd split flange, but also maybe some sort of 18mm pipe with a flange on it and some sort of o-ring seal arrangement? Unfortunately there are no distinguishing markings on the cylinder that indicate the manufacturer. Any help is appreciated. Plan B is to machine something appropriate like a single piece flange with o-ring and then weld a standard fitting to it, or adapt the -8 split flanges to what I have, or simply weld a standard fitting to the cylinder's flanges directly (would this warp it?) Thanks!

Replies9
  1. #1hosspuller2020-05-22 20:23

    From what I found ... Surplus Center is selling the same type cylinder. Might call them to see where they got them from. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...-x-2-55-65mm-DA-Hydraulic-Cylinder-9-9842.axd

  2. #2obleck2020-05-22 20:33

    Yeah, that's where I got it. Already talked to them.

  3. #3John C.2020-05-22 22:57

    It kind of looks like it would take a Code 62 flange. That deep inset though almost reminds me of the old Cat metal back seal rings. Is there any reason you provided metric measurements?

  4. #4willie592020-05-22 23:31

    I have no clue. Looks really weird to me with that counterbore, never seen that before on code 61 or 62. I'm baffled.

  5. #5obleck2020-05-23 01:47

    The metric measurements are simply because they seem to round off closer than English. For instance, the hole spacing is slightly less than 1.5" but darn close to 37mm. Also the thread size is metric (though going to double check)

  6. #692U 34062020-05-23 02:29

    Wonder if its meant to have a block bolted to it and sealed with an o-ring?

  7. #7Ct Farmer2020-05-23 08:35

    Did you measure the hole spacing putting two bolts in, measuring to the outside and subtracting a bolt diameter ? Or just use a ruler? 37mm is so close to 1.5” that it would be easy to be off. Also, Code 62 flange fittings can have metric bolts with all other dimensions being the same.

  8. #8obleck2020-05-24 19:05

    I measured with some mic's. It's definitely not 1.5", more like 1.45. But even then, the other 32mm dimension is way off what it would need to be (something like 17mm if I recall). Also as it turns out, the inside edge of the groove for the o-ring for the Code 61 -8 flange is smaller than the outside diameter of the hole, so it's definitely NOT a Code 61 -8 The idea of some sort of custom block occurred to me and is likely what I'll fabricate short of a stock solution. I'll make a block/plate with an o ring and the correct holes, and probably weld a JIC 3/4" to it or pipe thread it for a fitting.

  9. #9mitch5042020-05-24 20:40

    You might want to thread it for o-ring boss, it's easy enough, it's bolt thread. Then you can lock the elbow at any angle.