Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help identifying this leak….

rdavison39 · 2022-06-11 08:36

Hi there - I'm in the process of slowly fixing all the leaks on this 580 and I'm now getting to the smaller ones - the ones that were masked by the larger leaks which i have since taken care of !! So after running the machine down the road for 2km I took a look around to see if I could spot anything. What I noticed is a greenish liquid dripping from what I think is the (front) axle housing - almost looks like antifreeze. It stopped dripping after a few minutes when the machine was not running. I'm thinking it may be coming out of the drive shaft itself as you can see there are 2 drops and the higher drop is above the flange that bolts into the housing so it must be coming from above - and i don't see anything dripping directly above the housing. Two questions: 1) What might be leaking 2) And if its coming out of the axle housing, where do I top up this liquid ? Thx

Replies2
  1. #1thepumpguysc2022-06-11 08:41

    Taste it. If it’s sweet, it’s antifreeze. Look in the radiator, do u have green fluid in it.??

  2. #2Vetech632022-06-11 08:45

    I’ll bet it’s antifreeze and it’s leaking from a water pump or hose that is ABOVE where you are seeing it.