Serial number YQU4681 I am considering purchasing a used or inexpensive hydraulic tube crimping machine. About once a month, the machine suffers a hydraulic leak (the excavator's nickname is the Exxon Valdese). I am spending a small fortune on having new hoses as well as it takes over an hour round trip to have the hoses made. I am looking into purchasing a hydraulic hose crimping machine, hose and fittings. I think the fittings are JIC 37 degree angles - which is another challenge as many places near me do not carry those type of fittings. Can someone give me some guidance on a (relatively) inexpensive crimping machine and what the most common size fittings are that go to this Kobelco? Thanks for any help!!
If I am correct, by your serial number it looks like it is a Mk IV machine. If so then the pilot lines are a BSP 30 degree flare and the high pressure lines are French GAZ which in the past were a Kobelco proprietary fitting. I believe they were built by Parker but only available through Kobelco. It's been a number of years since I've dealt with this so things could have changed. I know that it seems a waste of time to make an hour round trip every time but to buy a 4 wire capable hose press and then stock the hose and fittings necessary is going to set you back a fairly large amount of money. If you are blowing a significant amount of hoses you may want to have your hydraulic system checked to see what pressure it's running at.
You are 100% correct and your post clarifies a lot that I did not know. Fensel Parker is the only place I can find the fittings for the machine - and they are VERY proud of their fittings. Between a 1996 JCB backhoe, a Scout (swamp buggy) a CAT D5G bulldozer, Massey Ferguson Utility tractor and the excavator- all of my equipment has some age to it. Before I purchased the excavator, it was left in a field for over 4 years and all the hoses are in bad shape. Over the last twelve months (among all the machines listed) I have spent over $2K in hoses alone. The Scout (which has CAT hose fittings) had one hose that cost me over $575. To your point, I probably will not save much money making my own hoses. Today, I replaced one hose and a second pilot hose started leaking. Very time consuming and a lot of down time due to not being able to fix a hose on a weekend.
Sounds to me like your money would be better spent by replacing a whole bunch of hoses in one shot. One of the hose and fitting suppliers in this area used to have a van with a press and stock of hoses that would come to a site and replace any number of hoses all at once. It isn't difficult to look at most any hose and see that it doesn't have much life left in it.
So you have 5 different machines, each one taking a different type of hose end. First thing you need to do is consider how many different types of fittings you are going to need to stock. Then you have to look at how many different types of bulk hose you will need to stock. Then talk to your Parker store to find out what, if any kind of discount you will get for buying the individual components over having them build your hoses. I think you will find that there are no significant savings to be had. The only benefit you will have is not making the trip to get them built. I run a heavy equipment repair business and have a 16 foot trailer set up to do hoses and I rarely use it. The cost of trying to have every type and size of hose and fittings is just to much to justify it. But, if you are set on doing this, find out what brands are available in your area, I would find out what the local parts stores carry along with the hydraulic shops. Do your research and then make your decision, owning equipment and replacing hoses will be expensive either way you go.
UPDATE: I purchased a new Parker hose crimper- can do up to 3/4 inch fittings. Really not that bad cost wise. I then got online and found the two most common fittings for the excavator. I counted 20 (mostly pilot lines) that are in poor shape. The fittings were about 1/2 the cost of what I was paying and the hydraulic hose was much less expensive. You are correct, not a money making venture, but it takes me one hour round trip to get hoses done. Much more convenient to do on site. The larger hoses I will still have to have made by my local Parker dealer.