Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need help on LEE g550 grader

jobob ยท 2010-10-16 20:57

i found this grader it looks good and all but the trans is really weak wont hardly move the owner says its the trans pumps its got one on top and bottom he said he had it checked and the mechanic said that was problem and the pumps rebuilt are 3500 and are easy to install i just dont know anything about this type grader and any help would be GREAT its 1992 model g550 with cat engine and hydrastatic trans thanks:beatsme

Replies5
  1. #1ledsel2010-10-20 18:33

    I'm dumb. What is a LEE g550? I haven't heard of one before.

  2. #2jobob2010-10-20 20:10

    g 550 from what i have been told it was made by brother of man makes leeboy graders they are suposed to be very similar

  3. #3ledsel2010-10-20 20:51

    Do you have any photos?

  4. #4Motor Grader2010-10-26 14:35

    Your Lee G-550 :wavingHello, I'm with Champion Motor Graders and my Grandfather was Bud Lee. Kinda of a long story but the Lee Grader was our brand from 1980 to 1993. We sold out to Champion in '93 and they sold to Volvo in '97. Volvo spun off the compact grader line in '04 and my Dad bought it back along with the Champion trademark. I wish I had a dollar for every time I told that story! Anyway, what matters to you is that the exact same factory and family that built the grader you are looking at also builds the new Champion Motor Graders today. www.championmotorgraders.us What this means is you can still get full support from the factory just the same as if you purchased a 2011 model Champion. If you study the new Champion C80 you will see that it still has many characteristics as the 1992 model you are looking at today. As for the drive problem, I would have to discuss it with you more. To better clarify though the actual hydrostatic system here is a brief overview: ON the engine there is the main hydraulic pump. The lower pump the mechanic referred to is actually a hydraulic drive motor. From the motor we go through a Dana 2 speed gearbox and into the tandem drive assy. I will attach a diagram at the end. Give me a call and we can talk more about the grader and maybe we can narrow down what the problem might be so you have an understanding of exactly what you may be getting into. You can easily get my contact info from our website. Thanks!

  5. #5Motor Grader2010-10-26 14:47

    Pic of a Lee Grader I have this pic of a Lee G440 grader. Slightly smaller than a G550. The G440 is what the C70C is today and the G550 is what the C80C is today.