Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help w/ Starter Wiring on Gehl 5640 Turbo

ktreece · 2018-07-31 12:52

I’m looking for a bit of an education. I don’t know much at all about heavy equipment and recently ended up with a project Gehl 5640 Turbo that has the Deutz BL4M 2011 in it. It was running when it sat apparently but has been sitting for a long time. I got it cheap because they said they tried to start it and all the starter would do is click click click so they sold it to me as “Engine locked up”. As I mentioned I am not much of a mechanic but young and looking to learn a little. He had pulled the starter off when I got it so I am not sure where the connections go and am looking for some help. I’m going to say the shape the wires are in is going to say a lot for why he might not have been getting enough amps for the starter to turn over period. But a few questions. Once I clean up these wires and put on some good terminals… 1. What is the white wire with the yellow end (#2 in wire pic) looking at the parts manual that’s the only wire on the whole electrical page that doesn’t have an arrow pointed to it. Every other wire on the page has it’s own arrow. Where does this wire connect on the starter?? 2. Where do the other wires go to the starter? I numbered them and the posts on the starter to maybe make things easier.

Replies3
  1. #1GregsHD2018-08-01 13:06

    The battery cable #1 and the power feed #3 go to the big stud #1 on the solenoid. The white crank trigger wire #2 goes to the phillips screw terminal #3 on the solenoid. Before you put the starter back on, get a pry bar or large flat blade screwdriver and see if you can rotate the engine through the starter hole prying on the teeth of the ring gear, it should turn easy. Don't try to force it and break a tooth off the ring gear.. My guess is they removed the starter to access the ring gear to see if the engine was seized.

  2. #2ktreece2018-08-01 13:45

    I didn't think about that. I just went out there and while it wasn't at an easy angle to apply much pressure, I couldn't get it to budge. There's a good chance he did try that but the guy that I got it from isn't too much of a mechanic either. When I got it, I did notice it didn't have much oil in it at all and the oil pan is heavily banged up because the skid plate had been removed. I put oil in it and it holds but has a very slow leak somewhere. If it sat for years and a lot of the oil leaked out is there a chance it's rusted in spots inside and would need a overhaul? I don't know what steps I should move from here but am having fun tinkering with it anyways. Too bad I can't find a service manual for this model online. Some guy is printing copies online for $130....

  3. #3hosspuller2018-08-01 15:32

    More likely, the oil leaked out while the engine was running. Then the engine seized up from lack of lubrication. You might try looking for a Deutz BL4M engine manual instead of a Gehl manual. This is a starting place... http://www.agkits.com/deutz-bf4m201...erm=agkits&utm_content=All Pages#.W2IKm_ZFy1s You have bought yourself a project. Hope it works out for you.