looking to buy a 2007 Cat D4G, salesman says the machine will not move forward or reverse, do you think this is a serious problem like transmission or maybe something less expensive, thanks for any advice
Well here is my take on salesmen, they will say almost anything to get you to buy whatever they have. Now, if I'm buying a dead machine, and I have bought several, I'd much rather be purchasing it off the person who broke it, than the dealer who traded it in broke and now wants rid of it. Rule of thumb, assume the worst. call another cat dealer with the prospective machines serial number and see what they can tell you. You want to know previous owners, service history, that type of stuf. Personally, I'd duck and run. I think your looking a machine with a major component failure, and all its going to be is a money trap to the point where you will never be able to get what you will have into it out of it. If it were low on fluids, or a linkage adjustment, the dealer would have already fixed it, told you he went thru it and its good as new.