Ive had this 416b on the farm for a few years since retiring from construction business. It doesnt get used a lot but has been a good machine for me. The problem I am having is the front loader bucket will not raise unless i pull a lever on the backhoe at the same time. All the other hydraulics work fine including the curl on the loader. Pretty much have to do the work myself as no cat mechanics around here. Any ideas?
I would bet on a signal resolver problem in the bucket curl function. The pump needs a signal from the valves to stroke up. If you are losing that signal you will lose some functions. Since the bucket curl and lift are on the same valve bank it is probably leaking the lift signal back thru the curl check valve. Did I confuse you yet?
I have the same issue with a 416C right now and was told the same thing. Its only a big problem when loading trucks. I have scheduled a repair , thought about it myself , but when I down the machine I need it back in a couple days max. Any ideas of the cost of such repair?
Ok.. how would I check this and can a person with general skills and tools fix it? The curl and dump seems to work fine.. just the lift and drop dont work. (of course the bucket drops with gravity but does not have raising power from the ground). I appreciate anyones suggestions.
Load the bucket , while raising it pull the boom crowd in , if the bucket begins to raise faster than you have the signal resolver problem. I don't know about the repair , most likely rebuild the loader valve while its removed. I will know in less than two weeks .
Just noticed today that the swing (especially to the right) seems slow on the backhoe also...maybe not related.
Im going to try that and see but since the loader bucket wont raise at all when only the lift is pulled, I am almost certain that most any pulling on other levers on the backhoe will result in it going up and it will most certainly be faster than ZERO!.
Look at the loader valve from the bottom. There should be a plug with a blade screwdriver slot in it beside the spools. It might be partially covered by the end cap. Locate the lift spool and take the plug out. It should be a piece about an inch and a half long with a ball inside and seals on it. Might have a blown seal or dirt under the seal. It is the resolver and might be worth buying one first. Swap it and then reseal the old one. Later Bob
So you don't have to remove the whole valve then? I might tackle this myself. Thanks Bob. Any repair I can do myself helps me keep going for sure.
It could possibly be the bucket tilt valve. It's usually the valve next to the one not functioning that is causing the problem. That is unless you only lose one direction on that function.