This is a Hough H-60 D Haven't been able to find a book for this model as of yet. Anyway I unhooked the Governor Bendix and now I find it controls the air pressure to my pressure tank. The popoff valve keeps cycling. There are 6 ports on this Bendix it is 5 inches long. Some of the ports had plugs in them. I need to see a pic so I can hook it back up. This is a Cummins straight 6 diesel engine.
Are you talking about the governor for the air compressor? Does it bolt directly to compressor, or does it mount remotely?
Hello Willie thanks for the answer--it was mounted to the side frame. I removed it and the lines going to and from it. I have everything , but don't have a clue as to where it goes. thanks for any help. len
If it's a Bendix D2 governor, it would look like this: http://www.anythingtruck.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=HTP-AIRB&Product_Code=061-284358X It sounds like yours is remote mount with hoses going to/from governor. Connect hose from reservoir (air tank) to one of the lower three ports, plug remaining lower ports. Connect hose that goes to compressor unloader port to one of the middle ports, plug remaining middle ports. Leave top (exhaust) port open.
tHERE WAS A PUSH PULL KNOB IN THE CAB THAT HAD LINES GOING TO the governor bendix-----I am not 100% sure about that---- --I think it was used for cold starts as there was also a heating element there. This unit was rusted and not working so when I removed it and the lines going to it ,it seemed to be also going to this GOVERNOR BENDIX so I removed it also. The whole system was leaking a lot of air so my brakes wouldn't work. After removing these parts my brakes work very well. Now the popoff valve cycles on and off on my air tank.
That is exactly what it looks like--my problem is that it is sitting here in front of me on my desk.
Your pop off valve is busting open because the compressor isn't being unloaded, that's the function of the governor. If you get your governor hooked up to compressor unloader port, your pop off problem will go away.
The top port was plugged off with a little white grub in there--like a mud dobber sp. it says EXH=EHHAUST The middle port says UNL--unloader and the bottom says RES Reservor sp so I need to find where it was hooked to the compressor. You have been a great help. Will it be obvious where it goes into the compressor???? Many Many thanks
LoL, yep, sounds like a mud dauber found your exhaust port. If it's a Bendix compressor, yes, should be easy to find connection. On the backside of compressor, side opposite driven end. You should see three threaded holes in a parallel line. Top and bottom holes are 5/16 coarse thread for governor mounting, the one in between the two mounting holes is 1/8" pipe thread to connect hose from governor. That's the unloader port.
You have been a great help--can I send you a check???? Just a thought---that push pull knob in the cab that had an air line or lines and a line going to the injector pump and some kind of a heating element hooked up electrically and a pressure gage. Have you ever seen that???? It was all froze up and that was the reason I unhooked everything. It looked like something for remote cold weather starting where the block couldn't be plugged in to heat the engine. I am serious about the check--I didn't think I could get it hooked back up as not many share about the old Hough's
LoL, no, I don't need a check, just hope it sorts out your problem. As for the valve in the cab, have no clue what that is as I no little about Hough loaders and don't have a wide range of experience with Cummins components. The compressor and governor is common to all sorts of truck and equipment applications which is why I have some experience with those things.
Hello willie59 I got the Bendix Governor hooked up and everything seems to be working as it should. No popoff and the brakes still work and I can't hear any air leaks. I don't understand where the excess air is going--or isn't there any excess air???? I can't feel any air coming out of the Exhaust on the Bendix Governor--didn't have my hand there all the time. JUST WONDERING I am just curious how this Bendix Governor works as it doesn't appear to be doing anything. Thanks for your great help.
Well, given you stated you no longer have air escaping the pop off valve, brakes work, and no air leaks, this indicates the governor and compressor are working properly. But to satisfy your curiosity of how the governor works, it's actually the governor and compressor working together. The compressor does the work, the governor is simply the control of the compressor, namely, loading and unloading of compressor. So what is loading/unloading? When the compressor is operating, a piston (or 2 pistons if it's a Tu Flo) moves up and down. As it moves down, it draws air into the piston chamber around a spring loaded intake valve. As piston moves up, the spring closes intake valve, air begins to be compressed in piston chamber, and this pressure acts against a spring closed exhaust valve. Pressure opens exhaust valve and air is delivered to reservoir (tank). This building (compressing) of air is known as compressor under load. Obviously, in this situation, the compressor will continue to compress air and build pressure until something explodes. So the compressor needs to be shut off at a determined pressure, typically around 120 psi, make it stop compressing air. That is known as unloading the compressor. But since the compressor, being driven by the engine, never stops operating, it has to be unloaded while in operation. This is actually very simple to do, and is where the governor comes in. As air build in reservoir, this pressure is sent to governor on "reservoir" port of governor. When the pressure on this line reaches 120 psi, it causes the internal components of the governor to send this air signal out of the "unload" port of governor. The unload port is connected to compressor unload port, whether it's mounted directly to compressor or via hose from remote mounting. This air pressure entering the unload port of compressor enters a chamber on top of intake valve which has a sealed piston. This pressure overcomes the spring that holds intake valve shut causing the intake valve to open and remain open as long as there is pressure in the unload chamber. In this condition, intake valve being held open, as piston moves up and down, it simply draws air in the intake port, then sends it right back out intake port, no air under pressure is being delivered to tank. Compressor is now unloaded. When pressure in reservoir drops to a determined level, typically around 100 psi, the governor internal components shift and stop sending air signal to unload. But during this shift, air would be trapped in unload port of compressor. So the governor opens "exhaust" port to vent this residual pressure in unload chamber and allow intake valve to operate as normal and load compressor. This diagram shows air pressure entering unload port of compressor to act against sealed piston on top of intake valve to hold intake valve in open position and thereby unload compressor.
Thanks willie59 I have read the info. a few--more than a few--and I kinda have a feel for what is happpening. Thanks for taking the time to share and for getting me back in service with the ole hough. len