Need some help guys, I bought some property and it comes with some equipment one of which is a 850D. I'm good with the tractors but I have zero dozer experience. My finial pre purchase walk-though is this week even possibly as soon as tomorrow afternoon. I need to verify at bare minimum that it starts runs and moves I need a step by step for dummies on how to put it through a short test.
Those are nice machines!
http://www.ehow.com/how_8598964_do-operate-case-850c-dozer.html Found this, for hte C model but very close to the same. It should be pretty easy to fire up and move it and see that it works. May need a jump start.
Thank You!, That is what I was looking for. Is there a procedure to start it? I did at one point turn the key to run and hit the push button and nothing would happen. Do I need to hold down any pedals or have the levers in any type of orientation?
So how did this go? Sorry I was away for the weekend and missed your post. Make sure the batteries are charged up, make sure the safety levers are in place (locking the steering or gear controls in neutral) put the throttle at mid way and it should start, or at least turn over.
I was not able to get anything to happen. I turned the battery switch to on and the key to run. There was a starter push button on the front side of the center pedestal it never seemed to even get power so maybe the battery was dead? It was moved to a different location so someone had it running at some point. We closed on the property and can take possession at the end of the month so I will need to ask a lot of questions for sure, unfortunately nothing I can do now but wait. I was told that a link needs to be removed from each track and the under carriage is not the greatest.
Yeah could see if hte lights turn on, any dash lights or indicators come on when you turned the key on? I would for sure pull the batteries and check them out and make sure they are in good shape. Being in a shed there is always the possibility of mouse damage to the wiring as well. They got into the dash of my TD7 and chewed up the start wire to the starter. I poked 00 steel wool into all the possible entrances to the dash to hopefully keep that from happening again. Once you do get it, and get it running, I would plan on getting oil samples from every system and send off for analysis. This will give you an idea of what kind of condition your machine is in. Spending some money on a mechanic to give it a good once over may not be bad money spent either. Taking a link out of the track will give you some more time on the undercarriage but depending just how much time you plan to run the machine it could buy you quite a bit of time. The 850D was a nice machine to run, and I loved the control system in them. I only spent maybe a couple weeks total on a rental 15 or so years ago, but I really liked the machine. Seemed like it had plenty of power and the long track was nice.