Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help with D4C series II transmission

DaltonA · 2026-07-27 21:39

Hi everyone, my neighbor is an older man, around 75, and he has an old Cat D4C series II sitting in his yard. Serial #7KG00084. I have saw him out there tinkering on it for along time and i decided to stop in and see if he needed some help a few days ago. He gave me a run down of the dozer and what had happened to it. He said he was running it whenever it started having an issue shifting. He parked the dozer in his yard and took the transmission cover off and pulled the assembly with the shifting forks out and found a alittle flat bar that had broken. If you look closely you can see where the pins the forks are on were hitting this little piece of flat bar. He said once he got to that point it was a hot day and he wanted to pull the dozer under a shade tree. She he hooked up to the back of the dozer with his tractor and went to pull it backwards. I’m assuming it didn’t move, but he thinks he moved these gears into a position and now he cannot get this fork assembly back onto the gear set. I’m mechanically inclined but I know nothing about this sort of stuff. I did find a print for it but I don’t know how to read the print so didn’t do me much good. I’ll attach a pic of it maybe you guys can help me out. I’d really like to help him out and get it going for him. He did get his new part (the little piece of flat bar) but I think he has had it apart for a couple years now and it seemed like he’d forgotten how it went back together. He wanted me to ask you guys if he needs to pull the rear axle out in order to free these gears up or what he needs to do. He’s not sure. I’m willing to help him do whatever needs to be done to fix it we just need the knowledge on what to do. I know these gears slide back and forth I’m wondering if he just didn’t have the gears in the right position whenever he went to put the fork assembly in? Any help means alot! Thank you!! Here are some pics so you guys can see what’s going on! View attachment IMG_1899.jpeg

Replies22
  1. #1DaltonA2026-07-27 21:40

    View attachment IMG_1911.jpeg

  2. #2DaltonA2026-07-27 21:41

    View attachment IMG_1907.jpeg

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2026-07-27 22:44

    If I look up that serial number it shows a power shift transmission not a std shift transmission

  4. #4DaltonA2026-07-27 22:48

    are these pics I added of a std shift transmission? I got that serial number right off the side of the dozer and took those pics right after. I don’t know the difference between std shift and power shift. I wonder if someone could have somehow swapped transmissions in it ?

  5. #5pittsburgh cat man2026-07-27 23:00

    I doubt it that tractor looks older pictures of tractor might help also look at rear of machine on upper left of the flat plate for a tag or stamping of serial number in the frame

  6. #6DaltonA2026-07-27 23:38

    View attachment IMG_1899.jpeg

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-07-28 01:55

    Looks very similar to a D3C. I don't think they made them with a std. shift transmission.

  8. #8chidog2026-07-28 02:34

    Its not a power shift transmission in the pictures. Unless some how they are shifting the forks with hydraulics. Yeah hard to tell too much jumbled up stuff in the pictures, need it all layed out nice to tell for sure. Is there a shift lever that fits in the hole in the cover? Does it have clutch? The D3 trans I did years ago was a normal planetary type power shift Show some pictures of the various levers in the operators compartment. It is a manual transmission.

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-07-28 03:42

    Maybe it was a special Ag model or for a special application??

  10. #10Cmark2026-07-28 05:23

    A pic of the serial number plate, or at least the arrangement number would help a lot

  11. #11pittsburgh cat man2026-07-28 09:16

    Pretty impressive tractor! lot of rare stuff. Lever steer machines were few and far between. In all the years I have never seen a direct drive one. I did however find a d3b 3yc with a direct drive transmission It is a 6t3924 transmission ar s/n 1wc1 up I'm pretty sure it would be same one in a d4c. Someone with sis might be able to find more info

  12. #12Tyler d4c2026-07-28 10:53

    Thats a ag cat set up as stated some very rare stuff zimmerman tractor out of missouri (I think ) is the place that knows stuff of those little direct drives

  13. #13Tyler d4c2026-07-28 10:55

    https://www.crawlerbulldozer.com/ These guys

  14. #14Tyler d4c2026-07-28 10:57

    That one i just parted had piston pump hydros a extra transmisson cooler front weights and lever clutch/pedal brakes. Quite a odd duck too

  15. #15Nige2026-07-28 11:12

    Apparently there were a number of S/N prefixes of D4C Series I machines built with direct drive transmissions, although information regarding them seems to be thin on the ground. I wonder if such an early Serial Number (7KG00084) could indicate that it was originally a factory Field Follow unit of some sort.? According to SIS 7KG00064 was the first 7KG-prefix machine built. To the OP. Does the transmission top cover in your photos have a Part Number cast into it anywhere.? I can see letters/numbers but in general they are not readable apart from the word "pump" next to what looks like a pressure tap point.

  16. #16chidog2026-07-28 15:11

    I messed up where did I get D3 out of D4? Wow Must have been the picture of the machine, looks D3 ish to me.

  17. #17pittsburgh cat man2026-07-28 15:37

    Found this possible special order

  18. #18Tyler d4c2026-07-28 15:50

    The d3b/and d4b/c are pretty much the same thing the 4 has a few more donkey powers PCM can probably tell what alls different.

  19. #19Tyler d4c2026-07-28 17:49

    Not that this has any thing to do with the tractor in question Cat D5 Repowered To Make Great Ag Tractor Mike Zimmerman and his son Ammon transformed a D5C Cat crawler into a 16-speed www.farmshow.com

  20. #20Welder Dave2026-07-28 20:15

    That's quite the unique build. Curious what speeds it has? Crawlers rarely go over 7 MPH. 16 speeds under 10 MPH should allow for some really low creeper speeds.

  21. #21pittsburgh cat man2026-07-29 09:35

    We kinda got away from the question I believe I would put the slider gears so they aren't engaging any gears probably need a big screw driver to move them I would then carefully bump the starter to make sure it's in neutral then in the top cover where the gear shifter goes line up the slots in the shift rods so you have a notch that shifter can slide across all of them with out any interference I would wrap a strap around the rops and use a come a long to put top on also a couple guide studs in top or transmission will help

  22. #22Nige2026-07-29 10:00

    I was hoping that with a Part Number from the cover that it might be possible to track down a parts illustration for the transmission and probably also some disassembly and assembly instructions.