Machine shut off rather abruptly the other day and i can't start it now. I changed both fuel filters and checked the fuel shut-off solenoid (I can hear it open and close ). It cranks fine and when hand pumping the fuel pump to bleed the air I got plenty of fuel coming out. If seems as if it not getting fuel though as it doesn't sound like it's firing. Any ideas would be more than welcome.
if you have changed the filters, did you bleed the injectors? If not it may have air in the injector pump, lines, and injectors. Crack the lines loose at the injector while someone cranks the engine. Leave the nuts loose until it quits spitting air and you get fuel. Tighten the lines down and it will pick up and run. Also make sure the overhead display isn't throwning a fault for a sensor such as oil pressure, charge pressure, etc that would shut down the engine? John
Can the fuel solenoid be hotwired to stay open. I can hear it click open when in the service position and the wire is touched to it. I don't know if it's open with the switch in the run position and cranking it. I have fuel to the injector pump but none coming out to the injectors.
Sounds like you have a fuel system full of air. Did you fill the filter housing with full and purge it before trying to start the engine after the filter change? Especially the filter mounted on the engine block? I would put the switch in service and try bleeding the pump of air by the same process as above but loosen each line at the outbound side of the pump, crank and see if you get fuel there. If so then move to the injectors and repeat the process. If the shut off solenoid is clicking then most likely its opening. John
Thanks John, I'll give your suggestions a try.
Sent pump out for rebuild and found it needed a new rotor and head. Ordered a new pump from Stanadyne. $996.00 but Deere and a few others wanted 1500.00 for a rebuild. Only problem 8 to 10 week wait.
8-10 WEEKS!!?? shoulda contacted me first...Was the H&R seized or just worn out?? IF it was seized you better get the injectors out and checked before installing new pump or you'll have a $1000.00 door stop[boat anchor] on your hands.. A good fuel shop will tell the customer what caused the failure and how to prevent it in the future,,
Would you be interested in looking at it? It's still apart. The shop where I sent it said the parts were rusted and corroded, but they looks to be in pretty good shape to me. I'm no injector pump mechanic, but I do know what rust and corrosion look like. I've already ordered the new pump, but wouldn't mind having this one repaired if possible.
Sure thing..NO CHARGE for looking..I'll PM you my address.. BETTER GET THE INJ. LOOKED AT..