I've got a 78-79 d65 with the nh220 Cummins, I brought it in for a rebuild because a blown head gasket galded a piston. Can this thing be in-framed in the machine? The back row of oil pan bolts looks like an issue. Anyone have any experience with these?
I would be inclined to pull the engine. You would be able to get things much cleaner and when it is in front of you it gives you the chance for a better inspection. Example: If the thrust washer is worn, it would be difficult to check, and close to impossible to replace. Many chores take more time and work than it is worth to leave the engine in the machine.
Other than the back oil pan bolts it's as straightforward as in-framing a truck engine. The entire engine is in the open except the back hole is over the cradle.
Did you ever get the oil pan out? If so how? The rear bolts weren't easy but once removed the pan can't clear crossover to be removed. Jacking up engine appears the only solution.