Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need help with my case 580 c

ggnutts ยท 2009-03-22 15:57

Hello, I am new to the worl of heavy equipment. my mid 80's case 580 c is acting up.It has a 4 spd tranny with shuttle shift. when i put it in forward, it doesnt want to go. when it does kick in, it goes fine.this happens moastly when it has been sitting for a while. I know it runs off the same fluid (in the torque converter) as the bucket and hoe. Is there some kind of valve that could be stopped up or malfunctioning? If so where is this valve located? Any help or hints are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gary

Replies3
  1. #1gggraham2009-03-24 21:41

    Could be a few things causing that. How is the fluid level? This is checked running in neutral, park brake applied. Do not check level with machine turned off it will read full and it won't be. How is the linkage? Does it feel loose? If it does not turn the lever( item 57 in diagram) on the valve spool far enough it will hestitate. The front and back sides of the lever should contact the shuttle body. Is the oil clean? If not...Remove the 6 bolts that hold the pan on the shuttle and check the pick up screen. Chances are if it is clogged the shuttle is on it's way out anyways. There is no filter on the shuttle system.

  2. #2ggnutts2009-03-25 21:47

    okay, I learn something new every day. first off, my linkage is fine, however I had been checking the fluid with my machine off. Checked it running and the oil was'nt even on the stick. Now, is this gear oil or hydraulic fliud that i am checking? Next, I was reading some other threads on here, and found out my hydraulic fluid more than likely has water in it. It is a yellow/whiteish color. how do i go about draining it without damaging anything?I got a parts catalog with my ho but nothing more. I am totally new with any kind of heavy equipment, (I bought my ho to put in a couple ponds on my property and a geothermal heating system), so please just treat my questions like those of a two year old. thanks so much for your help, Gary.

  3. #3backhoe12009-03-25 22:28

    I think that you are a little confused. you should check the shuttle fluid just like the trans in your car. it should be hy-trans. the fluid for your bucket and hoe is on the side by the gas tank(should be a sight glass and fill plug on a c ) I also believe a c is a little bit older than the 80's but I may be wrong.