Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help with Old Michigan Loader, whining noise from hydraulics

dougw2007 ยท 2014-05-20 21:18

I am trying to figure out why there is so much whining noise from my loader. The fluid appears to be aerated. I don't know if the noise is because the fluid is aerated or the what is making the noise is aerating the fluid. I made a short video of the loader that would probably explain it better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtUErs9ACxA&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1 , The sound changes when I move the bucket controls. Even just a slight movement changes the sound. The sound doesn't appear to be coming from the pump but more at the front. The hydraulic controls are there in the front, just below the reservoir. The reservoir has the vibration and so do the hoses to the main lift cylinders. If you grabbed the hose to the right cylinder and held it for 20 minutes your hand would be numb. Like using a weedeater. The other cylinders, for the bucket tilt, have no vibration in them at all. I tried to grab the hydraulic control valves and get no vibration, but one of the hoses to the main lift cylinders does have the vibration. I inspected the suction line from the reservoir to the pumps and find nothing except in watching the video, I now see a flange at the main pump and have not taken that apart or inspected it closely. And looking at the oil, it looks aerated? The engine idle is high and I need to fix that so I don't know if the high idle causes more whine noise?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies3
  1. #1Ryan1512014-06-03 21:26

    Maybe a partially collapsed hose? Are the hydraulics fast as they should be or are they slow? The air has to be coming from somewhere. Also does it leak fluid anywhere just sitting? Just some ideas maybe I've seen a few collapsed hoses do funny things like this

  2. #2dougw20072014-06-04 00:18

    Thanks for the reply. The hydraulics work great, as I suppose they would be speed wise. I don't see any leaks when it is sitting. The supply hoses are real old but look intact. My next move is to drain the system and remove the drain cleanout at the bottom of the tank and then replace suction hoses and seal where the suction hose and pump go together. I would like to put some air pressure in the suction line just to see if there is a leak. I will also change the filter. That should tell us a whole lot and hopefully I will find something simple. Doug

  3. #3mikebramel2014-06-04 19:10

    I think you answered yourself. The old intake hoses will cause vacuum leaks and seals under any flange. Since it has to be drained you may as well look for a intake strainer that could also be your problem