Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help – Yale GLP030

Blueacre · 2026-04-25 13:46

My Yale GLP030 forklift, model GLP030BFNUAF078FR, has been running rough when I start it especially on cold damp days. It usually clears up a after getting up to temperature and revving it up a few times. I figured it must be ignition problems or spark plug related so this morning I pulled the spark plugs to see if any were fouled. Didn't see any problem with plugs - very clean and good condition. Next I removed the wires at the distributor cap and pulled the cap and rotor. There was some corrosion and residue on the 4 terminals inside the cap so I cleaned them with a small wire brush on a Dremel tool. Also cleaned the coil center coil terminal inside the cap and the rotor contacts. I put everything back together but it wont start now. If I keep cranking it occasionally backfires so sounds like the firing order is not correct. The distributor cap is the same as the attached picture. It has a number by each of the 4 plug terminals. I added the numbers to the picture so it was clearer. I think my engine is a Mazda 2.0 or 2.2 liter and if it is the firing order should be 4-3-1-2. I reattached the wires to the terminals with number 4 being the cylinder at the flywheel (front) end of the machine and 1 at the fan (rear) end of the machine where the distributor is located. The rotor seems to only go on the distributor shaft in 1 location so that should be correct. Appreciate if anyone familiar with these engines can confirm if I am using the correct firing order and and the cylinder numbers are 1 at the fan (distributor)end and 4 at the flywheel end.

Replies2
  1. #1pdeal2026-05-13 18:32

    I don’t know about your lift. I bought an old yale 7000 lb forklift a few years ago. A basket case of a machine. You didn’t mention having a manual. If you don’t have one the best thing you can do is track down all the manuals (parts, service, operating maintenance). This will be your best path forward. This is what i did. Most of these lifts are pretty simple but you need to get the docs.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-05-14 09:00

    Definitely sounds like your firing order is out, especially if it ran before you took it apart. I would be checking the firing order, as I assume you don’t have a picture before you took the wires out. Usually a firing order will be stamped somewhere on the block or intake. A manual may be required. I thought Mazda engines were timed from the front to the back. 1,3,4,2 and #1 was front left.