So, I've had a very very bad week so far. Starting Sunday, my truck was broken into while I was in church. Then, yesterday afternoon, I was working with my Case 580 Super E 4X4 backhoe when I managed to drive around the rear of my dump truck, go to apply the brakes and only hit the left one... Swinging the bucket and punching a hole in the passenger door. So with that still operable, I was using the claw and when I finished digging, I pulled it back into place and as I was pulling up one of the outriggers I managed to drag some rocks across it and put little nicks in it. I really Really REALLY don't want to spend however many hundreds of dollars to take this to a mechanic to get it fixed, so is there anything anybody can recommend in order to lessen the size of these or possibly fill them in? Anything would be awesomely appreciated. By the way, they are almost at the end of the tube to where when I pull it in, they only partially go in. Still bad news either way... HELP!!!!!!!
If you're talking about minor gouges in the chrome rod, take some sandpaper and smooth the edges so they don't wear the wiper much when you retract and you'll probably never know the difference.
seems i remember someone on this board cleaning the scratches really good and using super glue to smooth them said it worked for over a year with no problems
Sand the burrs and then use silver solder not regular solder . You need a proper flux as well a acetoline/oxi torch .Then once applied sand smooth with 300 grit or higher sand paper
Hey Nick, I would get a fine toothed flat file and gently run it over the gouges until you get the burrs down even with cylinder rod. If you leave it as is, you will damamge the packing in the gland and cause leaks. I wouldnt spend too much time worrying about the pits, getting the raised areas where damaged down level with the rod is the important part. You could always fill them with something like JB weld and file/sand it even and smooth if you dont want to leave the pits if it makes you feel better.
Thanks guys, that gives me a lot to work with! I'll do everything I can to make them last as long as possible.
Once again, thanks for the help! I sanded them down and because they were minor I was able to apply several layers of gel super glue (put one on, let it dry, sand it down, then add another) I was able to make it where the tube and the glue were able to line up perfectly. If that doesn't hold for very long, which I'm not sure it will, I just needed a temporary fix... If/when that fails, I'll get one of my friends to solder it and go form there. He's really good at it, and more than likely that will be a great solution. Thanks!!!
I've repaired many hydraulic rods over the years with welding electrodes. Eutectic make an electrode called "680CGS" They are a chrome nickel type rod, which can be used at low amps. You can use these electrodes to repair rods with zero undercut. The rod can then be sanded/buffed back. The rods are also available in a TIG rod, if you want to go that way. A reputable welder should be able to do the repairs for you, although I'd warn against using any alternatives to the Eutectic rods (they just dont work as well)