Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Info on Old Army Trucks

alskdjfhg ยท 2016-03-31 16:00

Ok it's official, I'm a sucker for punishment... In the order to get a little close to a semi and farther away from overloading little gooseneck, (and do it cheaply) kinda thinking about some older army trucks that have popped up. One is 70's American General M813A (there are actually two of these) and, this is why I'm a sucker from punishment/insane, a '52 Studebaker M211. Reasonably sure they would go cheap. I don't know the condition and have never seen the machines in pictures or in person, I'm at the thinking aloud stage right now. But any of you guys know anything about these trucks? The M813A is a 5 ton right? The deuce and half's go pretty high, there is a demand for those, but less so for 5 ton's. Trying to work within my limitations such as insurance and driver's licenses. I don't have a CDL, and Dad's only got a class B. But the M211 is small enough that anyone can drive it (pretty sure), and with farm plates Dad could drive the M813 and pull a trailer with a gross vehicle weight up to 20k. I know it's probably insane to think of using these trucks for anything other than parades, but for me I think I might be able to make them (or one of them) work for part time weekend farm uses. Well aware that most people buy these for playing around and fixing than actual work. And yes I do know that hiring is always cheaper than owning, but it's hard enough to work around my schedule, much less have to conform to someone else. Been burned enough by annoying 3rd party truck drivers to want to not have to depend on them anymore. Won't be able to do much with either one of them, but it would be a start..... As usual, thanks for any and all info.

Replies26
  1. #1Old Doug2016-03-31 20:04

    I would like to have them my self but if you need a truck stay away from them. They would be more of a toy than some thing to use. I have a 1963 Ford F600 there were alot of these built and from 61 to 66 they were about the same but there are alot of parts that you just cant get like the heater core i had to about hand build one and the brake shoes have to be relind because you cant find them at the parts store. The studebakers are not very commen because they were built to be shiped to the soviets to use i had a chance to buy one years ago.

  2. #2alskdjfhg2016-03-31 20:42

    Oh for sure, Definitely the M813 would have a better chance to be a farm truck than the 211. Lots of folks have 2 1/2 and 5 tons so they must gets parts somewhere.

  3. #3trucker12016-03-31 20:42

    What Old Doug says, plus, you will be lucky to get about 2 miles to the gallon. Guaranteed not to miss a gas station. George

  4. #4td25c2016-03-31 21:49

    Myself would look around for an older road tractor if you want a lowboy rig to haul equipment . Spotted this White & thought about your thread . http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/4764299/1974-white-road-boss Assuming no rust damage parts are common for it . Do you need a CDL for farm use In Texas ?

  5. #5mowingman2016-03-31 22:11

    Nice looking old truck. However, that dealer has a really bad reputation, IF, you believe what is posted about him across the internet.

  6. #6td25c2016-03-31 22:21

    Thanks for the " head's up " on the dealer mowingman . I liked it as well , temped myself to go after it .

  7. #7alskdjfhg2016-03-31 22:43

    You don't need a CDL with farm plates, but you will need the corresponding 'class' of license that the vehicle combo demands. That's a really pretty truck, there were a few trucks like that last auction that looked as nice. The problem with just the semi tractor is that they are pretty useless without a trailer and then your getting where your going to need the licensing that goes with a Semi. The biggest issue going with a semi (eventually I think one will be necessary) is that neither Dad or I have a class A. The thing that's nice with the old army trucks, they can function as big pickups and kinda fly under the radar. And kinda fit into the farm plate/antique class where they are smaller than a real semi, but a step up from a 3/4 ton pickup. Although an oil field rigup truck could work the same and would sell just as cheap, be nicer to drive/maintain.

  8. #8td25c2016-04-01 07:44

    I like that idea . Rig up truck would be handy for various tasks . Add 5th wheel plate to pull lowboy when needed . http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/7100653/1979-ford-ln9000

  9. #9redneckracin2016-04-01 07:57

    I would be looking for an international 4700, 4800, or 4900, they came with juice brakes oon some of them, and the utility trucks or township trucks even came with 4wd. Parts are plentiful and they are dependable trucks. I use a 4700 with juice brakes to drag around a 20k trailer. The air suspension and 6sp Allison make it effortless on all but the big hills then I just go as fast as she can and throw the 4 ways on. I do have my cdl though. Its really not that hard to get and not that much more expensive to have the license. Also, my commercial truck insurance policy is cheaper than my pickups policy is.

  10. #10hetkind2016-04-01 08:24

    I was out at Red River Army Depot in Texarkana recently doing some plant work. One of my contractors is starting some heavy construction next month to renovate some WWII operating lines for demilitarization work. As I was driving around the outskirts of the massive facility (25 miles long by 10 miles deep), I noticed at least two large truck yards of surplus Army trucks ranging from 2 1/2 ton size, 5 ton size and some of the heavy haul tractors. These are independent vendors not associated with the facility, but buying up surplus trucks and parts. Also, some of the second source vendors like Midwest Military have wonderful stocks of M35 and M37 parts. I personally run a 1962 M37 Military Dodge Power Wagon and can get almost ANY part I need with Vintage Power Wagon being the leader in that sector. The tags and insurance on my M37 are $65/year for unlimited use. At 6 mpg with gas flathead six, it doesn't get too many road miles...and operates mainly in the woods in 4x4 low range. Howard

  11. #11alskdjfhg2016-04-01 10:56

    I was thinking more on the lines of this; https://www.google.com/search?q=rig...hXFyIMKHSXKCQUQ_AUIBygB#imgrc=B2QDw3knsDrMuM: Let's see if the link works, trying to do this on my phone. You don't see them pulling trailers all that much, and when they do it's generally a float trailer. but you can do a lot with a rolling tailgate, gin poles and winches..... Be handy for some machine tools I need to move (the rigging purist don't approve of such crude machines as this truck to move machinery though). There is one of these also in auction, but with only a 16' bed. It's an '81 Autocar.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2016-04-01 14:53

    Yair . . . I suppose these days on the oil patch its all conventional juice cranes and rigging. Over here those "rig-up" trucks were called "pole-trucks" and I put in a bit of time on them with a Canadian outfit called Richter Bawden drilling. . . they had a fifty or sixty thousand pound winch behind the cab had a roller across the back of the body and the loads (including dozers) were just sucked on over the back. It was not uncommon to see a truck loading a mud pump with the front wheels five or six feet off the ground . . . a unique no nonsense way of materials handling that I suspect is no longer done today . . . . Cheers.

  13. #13alskdjfhg2016-04-01 15:17

    Great picture Scrub. This is the video I like, shows what real rig up (pole trucks) can do.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_diP1tLno This kind of truck could pull a trailer like this; once I get the Class A. https://www.google.com/search?q=oil...=8cf-VpOWFOe-jgT4x56QBQ#imgrc=zn5LLSquWlz0oM: It's no lowboy, but the capacities can be impressive and since they are dirt common in Houston, they go cheap. Found some more info about the Autocar; CUMMINS NTC350, ENG BRAKE, 1253A 5 SPD, 1241CT 4 SPEED AUXILIARY, DBL FRAME, SPRING OVER BEAM SUSP, 40000 LB REARS, 262 IN. WB, 16 FT X 8 FT BED, TAIL ROLL, TULSA 45000 LB WINCH What's y'alls opinion? A little bit longer bed would be nice

  14. #14Scrub Puller2016-04-01 16:35

    Yair . . . Nothing much has changed. Trailers much the same style as back in the early sixties, unlatch and drop them on the ground . . . to hook up back in, attach winch rope over back roller and suck them till they latch. Cheers.

  15. #15redneckracin2016-04-01 19:40

    Scrub, the winch trucks are alive and well in the gas patch in the marcellus in pa, oh, and wv. We had a winch line break and drop a mud pump, boy the safety guys had a field day with that. Most of the bigger rig up trucks have dual steer axles though now a days. Some of the gin poles have single axles. Most of the rig loads still use a sling and go up over the tail roller on the floats.

  16. #16RZucker2016-04-01 19:57

    That will never work. No snarly Detriot under the hood.

  17. #17td25c2016-04-01 20:28

    Good lord how did I miss that ! Joey's screaming Ford should make it all good again . HeavyEquipmentForums Now there is a great example of a tractor / rig up / getter done truck .:thumbsup Not to mention he knows how to use it :salute

  18. #18Scrub Puller2016-04-01 21:40

    Yair . . . Redneckracin. Thanks for that info mate, it's nice to know some things can stay the same . . . if it works why change it I always reckon. I really am surprised though I would have thought Political Correctness and safety regulations would have outlawed some of those old oilfield ways. I have seen pictures of those big twin steer setups . . . some Tri-drive even and I assume on some trucks those twin steer axles would be driven? The mind boggles at the complexity but I can remember a few occasions where it would have been right handy to have access to such a beast. Cheers.

  19. #19redneckracin2016-04-04 11:46

    Oh the safety guys were always up in arms anytime anything moved. They had to know the weight of everything lifted and the ratings of all the slings or ropes. The safest way of moving things around were those rig up trucks though and they were much cheaper and better suited to everything on the well sites being skid mounted than a crane ever would be. Sure a crane could usually handle one end of a skid, but if it needed moved around the other side of the location one of those trucks worked the best. The cranes would usually fly stuff apart and a float trailer would be backed up and the truck self loaded to head off down the highway. Can't get much more efficient than that. Well the trucks I remember were only tandem drive. Our locations at worst would only have mud puddles on them. Some of the stuff I have seen from other areas are not nearly as nice and all wheel drive would be a huge help. We had "TAFT" stickers for all the cowboys coming from out west into PA. They seemed to think that oil started in Texas. Little did they know oil started in Pennsylvania here in the States.

  20. #20alskdjfhg2016-04-04 16:22

    Old crappy pictures from a previous listing, I'm pretty sure this is the same truck that is in auction, the serial numbers match. What do ya'll think? Any guess about the GVWR? Trying to get an idea about how much weight I could put on the back of it (legally). Look kinda light as far as these trucks go, but since I'd be using it as a big pick up anyhow, that's ok. Don't think it's got gin poles and not sure if I can put any on it, also can't tell if it's got more than one winch.

  21. #21Willie B2016-04-04 20:33

    I got my CDL several years ago in VT. Laws tend to be similar state to state, so perhaps yours are like ours. The CDL requires no enormous skill, there is some reading needed, For me, the biggest challenge was squeezing a long wheelbase straight truck, and 32 foot trailer into the "loading dock" they create with cones. I did feel they actively tried to prevent me from getting it. Each "test" you must arrive with a truck/trailer wworthy of close inspection for defective equipment, and be accompanied by a CDL licensed driver with endorsements for the vehicle in question. For me first was written test, I made appointment for road test, and was informed I wouldn't need a medical card. The law was changing in a few months, but for now, it won't be needed. When I arrived for my test with borrowed truck, and trailer, and a driver giving up his morning, they informed me they had decided to enforce the soon medical card rules months early, I needed one before my test. Third trip, they knew nothing of me having an appointment, I'd have to make a new one, come back another day. Fourth trip, I failed pre trip inspection. He said I didn't check my windshield for cracks, and didn't check the headboard on the trailer. I pointed out the trailer didn't have a headboard. He responded I should have mentioned that there is no headboard, so I can't check it. On the fifth trip my truck/trailer owner backs out on me. I scrambled to spend a couple thousand on my truck to put it in ship shape worthy of inspection, and found a driver fresh out of retirement with full credentials. I spent two hours on pre trip inspection. I was thorough! The "Dock backing went OK, and the road test was a breeze. Some doctor said years ago my blood pressure was a bit high, so I need a new medical card each year.

  22. #22td25c2016-04-04 21:37

    Nice looking Autocar. My guess is you could haul around 12 to 13 tons on road . Off road .... That's another story Rig up trucks are like the " Hot Rods " of the 1950's in allot of ways . You build/modify it to best fit your needs with what you have on hand for the most part . Simple multi task truck built to take some abuse My favorite bed style has a has a little drop at the tailboard & 5th wheel at the rear for pulling a trailer .Similar to this truck.

  23. #23redneckracin2016-04-05 20:50

    I found a local bus company that had their own truck, trailer, crash course teacher, and certified instructor for $450. I used an old f800 12' box truck and 18' triaxle open deck car hauler. I passed my first try through. I consider myself very lucky!

  24. #24alskdjfhg2016-04-05 22:41

    Sounds fun... Been reading the Texas requirements, Dad would be legal to drive this truck (class B CDL). If we put farm plates on it, we could pull a trailer with a 20k lb trailer with it and be legal. I don't think the insurance would be too bad given it's an older truck and won't be for hire, have yet to actually figure out what this all entails though.... That's kinda what I was hoping......

  25. #25redneckracin2016-04-06 06:13

    If it's any help, my commercial policy was cheaper than my private passenger policy on my pickup. Ymmv

  26. #26Willie B2016-04-06 07:51

    A company, (agency) in Florida; Gulfway Insurers of Hudson got me insurance with Travelers. I've had it ten years. Three trucks cost about $400 a year. This year they came up with new requirements. I needed five photographs of each vehicle, including the odometer. They place the limitation of no cargo. My local agent, I've followed the same lady (I grew up with her) through three agencies. She found me insurance with Progressive for $230 for just the 1976 Chevy C65. This is a low mileage policy, non commercial. I average well under 1000 miles a year. Gas mileage isn't good with my truck. I don't drive it for grocery shopping.