Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need John Deere backhoe engine advice

apm ยท 2014-10-08 13:48

I've got a John Deere 310C that's going to need an engine. Will any of the Agricultural engines work or does it have to be backhoe specific. The book says it's a 4-293D, non turbo. Will the turbo engines interchange? Thanks, Greg

Replies5
  1. #1apm2014-10-08 14:54

    Well, I'm not sure how to edit the original post, but that should have read "4-239D". Thanks, Greg

  2. #2El Hombre2014-10-08 15:03

    Check with the heavy equipment wrecking yards. They maintain a data base of interchanges; what fits in what. The JD dealer might know, they've seen it all if they've been around for a while.

  3. #3lantraxco2014-10-08 18:41

    4-239 is a very popular engine, as long as the horsepower is the same or a bit more and the governed speed isn't any higher you should be okay. As El Hombre says check with your Deere dealer and also possibly your local Deere engine distributor, with the tag numbers they can decode any engine and tell you if the settings and accessories are compatible.

  4. #4apm2014-10-08 20:23

    I thought I'd heard one time that some of the equipment engines were "structural" as in they help provide the support structure. Others were just designed to mount into a frame that was self supporting. I know the 4239D's come in several configurations like air compressors, generators, pumps, as well as tractors, backhoes and skidders. I could probably get by with just a block, therefore my questions. Any opinions on the turbo vs. non-turbo? Thanks, Greg

  5. #5lantraxco2014-10-08 21:59

    Earlier maybe, or old Ag stuff where there weren't any side frames. front axle bolted to the engine block.... by the time they got to the "B" series they're all pretty much mounted in rubber. Except for the air lines and exhaust for a turbo engine, everything else from your old engine should bolt on if it happens to differ from one engine to the other. I remember doing a 410B that pooched a rod out the block and nailed the injector pump, wasn't much salvage on that engine. Weird thing was it ran on three long enough to get it on the tilt trailer and off into the shop. Owner was in the mood to buy a new one so we found a smokey high hour engine out of a generator or compressor, something like that.... I don't remember how much parts swapping we did but about 24 clock hours later it was on the truck headed to the auction with a running engine, lol. YMMV