Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need light adjusting sunglasses, ideas, advice???

Rous ยท 2008-10-25 03:23

Im trying to find a nice pair of photochromatic sunglasses (light adjusting) to use in my crane. Looking for something scratch resistant that can go from almost clear when im working on the ground and tint out as i raise a load and look towards the sky/sun, would be nice if they looked half decent so i could use them out golfin or whatever. ill pay top dollar so if anyone has suggestions let me know no matter how cheap/expensive they may be, i just want results! do any of you folks use them, i think they would be a lifesaver. thanks for readin and any info if youve got it.

Replies5
  1. #1Rous2008-10-25 03:42

    ive been looking at these http://mi.oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/380x340/c8/4755f57843e50.jpg?1196816416 but theres no oakley dealer nearby where im working for me to try them before ordering. they use "transition" lenses so im guessing if someone has tried transition theyd function pretty much the same? im really interested in finding out how quickly they can tint, if its over 5 seconds to fully tint ill try somethin different.

  2. #2RonG2008-10-25 04:58

    I used to buy the Bausch and Lombe (Ray Ban) Outdoorsman or whatever they call them these days with the photo gray lenses that were made by Corning. Well,Ray Ban has been sold to some outfit that plays vile "music?" when you log on to their website and they don't offer the photo gray anymore but the have something that is "just as good" or words to that effect. I bought some on ebay for 85 bucks that don't work,they stay dark all the time and nobody wants to talk to me about it so IF I had the money to spend you can find these glasses occasionally on ebay from collectors it appears,they are out of the country it seems but they have the real thing and they know what they are worth. The last pair that I had got the lenses scratched from the vibration in a Cat loader and the optometrist says they cannot be fixed. I have several frames and maybe an optometrist can buy the Corning lenses for me but I have not persued it. I used to wear those glasses all the time for eye protection,they were almost clear in the low light areas and could get very dark in the bright sunlight. I originally bought them because I started having a problem riding at night on my bike if I happened to be away from home with it later than I planned and these were just the right solution for me. I lost the pair before that by turning my head to say hello to a friend on the highway at about 100mph....lol.I didn't even go back to look for them.Ron G

  3. #3Rous2008-10-25 11:11

    Thanks Ron, one question though, did they tint instantly, like if you look up towards the sky then look back down into your cab? or is it something that slowly tints over time. Im out early today so gonna head up to the cities and see what i can find :drinkup

  4. #4John C.2008-10-25 12:30

    I have a set of prescription glasses that have the transition lenses. They take awhile to tint, maybe up to five minutes. They are slow but you really don't notice much when going from dard to light areas that they changed until you take them off. They do give me a problem though when going from bright areas into darker areas. Since they are bifocals I can't read a thing with them until they lighten up again. They were expensive but that is probably more because of the prescription and frames than the lenses. You might ask at any optometrists office.

  5. #5Vantage_TeS2008-10-26 14:24

    Rous I know what you want but I'm not sure they are going to work like you think. The lenses change their tint according to the amount of light hitting them, not the amount of light you are looking at. For example if you are standing in the shade they will be light and when you walk into the sunlight then will darken up. However if you are standing in the shade and LOOK into the sunlight they will stay light. If you were wearing a hat with a brim that blocked the direct sunlight while you were looking down I suppose that would have them lighten up, and then when you looked up the sunlight hitting the lense would darken them, but otherwise I feel you are going to be dissapointed in their performance.