Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need lighter dump bed for a Chevy 3500

Kn1ghtWolf ยท 2024-02-21 23:29

Running a 2018 crew cab chevy 3500 daully, its a chasis cab model so it has increased bed length and stickered for a slightly higher gvwr with a 11ft steel dump bed with folding sides and a venco hoist, thing is a monster. It weighs way too much for this truck and takes away axle weight for trailering. I don't feel it and the truck doesn't either but I want to make sure I stay safe and I want to take the cdl test using it. I have been exploring my options and thinking about a switchngo/drop box type system with an aluminum dump with folding sides that I can leave home when I want to save fuel or maybe pick up a goose neck. I don't know what the weight difference on something like that is compared to what I have now, it just seems like the logical choice. I could also go with a fixed aluminum dump bed but I think even with that I can't technically get my desired rear axle weight with a 20k trailer. And before anyone suggests just ditching the dump bed all together and using a dump trailer I will say that having this thing has been a blessing for getting work done and not having to trailer my junk around, just can't accept a world without it now.

Replies1
  1. #1cfherrman2024-02-22 10:29

    Sounds expensive