Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some advice on toothed buckets

Jeepwalker ยท 2012-03-01 20:48

HI, I really don't know much about toothed buckets, I was hoping some of you more experienced guys could give me a 101 on tooth buckets, tell me what you've learned. I've read through a bunch of old posts but still have a few tooth bucket questions. What I'm looking at doing is an out-building construction project this summer that involves a minor amount of ground leveling to prepare for concrete work. I've also got some upcoming landscape work to do as well. I'm thinking I either need to add a toothed bar, or bucket teeth. I expect to run into some rock, but not big stuff. Skid loader is an 1845C Case with the standard 72" material bucket that came with it. It's been repaired a few times, new bottom panel welded on by a welding shop (although kind of crude). It is pre-drilled across the front for what I presume are for teeth or a tooth bar (how would I know which?). Some questions are: 1) Are toothed buckets generally stronger (heavier) than material buckets? It seems to be the case from what I see. 2) Any problems adding teeth or a tooth bar to a material bucket for periodic use? 3) Which is preferred, teeth or a tooth bar? 4) Best type of tooth bar? I've seen several types. 5) Best place for good pricing on tooth bars? 6) Dummest question of all, do ALL tooth bars mount underneath the bucket? 7) If I wanted to add teeth (not a bar), what do I need to know in terms of measurements to order teeth? Are they standardized, or are there different teeth for different depths, bucket types or even skid steer makes? 8) The case dealer says about $1,500 for individual bucket teeth and mounts which seems like a lot to me, not sure I need "the best". He suggested a 3-section flat toothed bar with teeth that were more like cut-outs (not large individual teeth). 9) Where are some internet or catalog outfits that sell the whole tooth assembly for a reasonable price? Again, I don't know that I need the most robust teeth known to man. I'm not working in a rock quarry everday. Just general around the farm use (not manure) and periodic digging. Thank you for your help. Jeepwalker

Replies15
  1. #1skidrowe2012-03-01 22:36

    Jeepwalker I was in the same boat you are in about a year ago. I checked out toothbars $350- $400 seemed kind of high $ and looked flimsy. I recommend checking out equipment dealers Cat, John Deere, Case they might have a used one out back. I lucked out at a rental yard and found a used Bradco tooth bucket Very Heavy Duty for $650 . It was more than I had planned to spend but I would have destroyed a toothbar many times on some of the jobs I've done, lots of rocks and boulders! To me my tooth bucket is invaluable , no regrets what-so-ever! Good Luck

  2. #2Bumpsteer2012-03-01 23:47

    I optioned to go with a toothed construction bucket when I bought my Bobcat 743. Its a standard bucket with the shanks welded on to it, crimp on teeth. The shanks are on the top of the bucket, allowing one to backdrag smoothly as long as you don't tip the front of the bucket down to much. Its a pretty good setup, sometime though, replacing the welded cutting edge and shanks will be expensive & a pita. Its not my "everyday" bucket anymore, I had a utility bucket for a few years, then traded it in for a 4 in 1 with a bolt on cutting edge. The teeth make digging in hard material much easier, even loading from a compacted pile is easier with the teeth. No experience at all with the bolt-on type bar. I wouldn't want the teeth or shanks below the bucket, wouldn't be worth a shrit for general use. I did set my grapple bucket up backwards when I added teeth, its used for logging and brush removal, having the teeth below the cutting edge makes it easier to get under logs and allows one to clean up brush and limbs without picking up extra dirt. Ed

  3. #3heavylift2012-03-02 00:57

    Toothed bucket is the only way to fly.

  4. #4k452012-03-02 07:37

    I believe multiple holes across the front are either for a bolt on edge or for bolt on teeth, not a tooth bar. My tooth bar bolts on to the side of the bucket, not to the edge but it goes over the bolt on edge. I have another thread here where I've had problems with the outside teeth breaking off of my JD bar and others have said: 1) it's a poor design and 2) tooth bars are a waste of money, get a heavy duty tooth bucket. So I am listening here for ideas too. I am a bit leery of just adding teeth to a standard smooth bucket, I would think the extra steel of a tooth bar adds strength to the edge. So I assume you want something fairly strong if you go to a tooth bucket but OTOH, going overboard will take away from your net lifting capacity. Ken

  5. #5Nige2012-03-02 08:49

    Generally for general-purpose buckets for smaller-size machines that is correct. A smooth cutting edge or tooth adapters, they all bolt on to the bucket using the same holes. Maybe what the OP is thinking of is a rock bucket (which would be fitted with teeth) that is generally a beefier bucket structure-wise than a GP bucket. The rock bucket will also have holes in the front edge for bolt-on teeth.

  6. #606Pete2012-03-02 09:21

    I think you would best off with a second bucket with teeth because aI have never seen a tooth bar hold up. The other thing is a tooth bar fits below the cutting edge so you can't backdrag smooth. All buckets I have seen with the teeth above the cuttting edge are good but the best is the bradco that came on my Takeuchi the teeth are long and seperate rocks and roots good and also very agressive digging. Once you have a tooth bucket you will hardly ever use a straight edge again.

  7. #7KSSS2012-03-02 14:40

    You might consider putting a Rezloh edge on your existing bucket. I like this cutting edge, makes digging much easier, yet you can still cleanly grade with it. Check them out on line.

  8. #8dirtmonkey2012-03-02 16:50

    I myself prefer a 4 n 1 smooth bucket with weld on shanks for flush mount teeth. Makes street clean up easy and Case always carries the teeth . I'm sorry I can't remember the tooth numbers. This set up has served me well for many years and digs like a mother !

  9. #9ironjunkie2012-03-03 14:50

    +1 If your digging without teeth, you may as well be wearing a dress! Toothbars are of different quality const. I have had one with heavy cast, pin on covers (teeth) . And have seen them with the chinsey crimp on covers as well. Either way they are not that much fun to remove and store even with only 2 bolts. Spring for a 2nd bucket.

  10. #10stumpjumper832012-03-03 17:40

    stay away from tooth bars, they are jsut a headache. If you put them on a new bucket your fine, the cutting edge suports the teeth evenly. Its when you take them off and wear the cutting edge back is when you start getting in trouble. The edge is no longer suporting the tooth bar right and its sloppy, egging out your bucket cheeks, and eventually bending and breaking the toothbar or bucket. Spent the extra dough and get a tooth bucket, or find a used tooth bucket. Rezloh isn't a bad option, I'd just have two buckets myself.

  11. #11Iron@Dirt2012-03-04 19:19

    Just got the 342 mustang going a couple of weeks ago, ended up with a complete rebuilding of the engine. Now its time to rebuild the bucket. Was going to order a smooth edge with bent up ends tomorrow for about 200, now Iam wondering if the old pup is worth a rezloh about 900? After reading some posts on needing bigger machines, I was worried the old mustang wouldnt be able to do much with 28 hp. Hope it can move a little dirt. Youll think its worth a rezloh edge?

  12. #12Iron@Dirt2012-03-04 19:38

    Sorry its probably not a pup if its old. Sometimes the computor locks up. Maybe its a runt.

  13. #13KSSS2012-03-04 19:39

    I would think not. At 28 hp your not doing much as far as digging into hard ground anyway. $900 seems high.

  14. #14xcmark2012-03-05 16:47

    with the cost of the machine and the HP/size of it your best bet is to get some bolt on teeth from Romac , see the link below for a bolt on tooth that you can install on a flat cutting edge bucket. by the time these get to your door your looking at under $260 without side cutters for a small bucket. http://romacindustrialparts.thomasn...-bobcat-style-assemblies/6737324-assy7107319?

  15. #15Iron@Dirt2012-03-05 21:07

    Thanks xcmark. The front edge is about all gone. Need to replace it first. Guess I will just go with a smooth edge with bent ends. These probably sound like toys to most, but if you consider relatively speeking from my stable, 342 skidsteer, 28 hp, 5000 lb, 62" bucket / JD 350B, 42 hp, 10000 lb, 6.5' blade and / D 39p-1, 90 hp, 20000 lb, 9 ' blade, horse power to weight is simular, except the two dozers are tracked. Thanks for the help.