Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some education

Moonlite · 2018-09-23 21:32

not really a crane. Altec bucket truck. Suppose to be 3 stage boom. Truck is supposedly rated for 25K lift capacity. Currently has a 1/2” fiberglass rope. Rope has broken once at end. Guy unspooled rope and put bad end in the spoil. Now he wants me to Find him a 3/4 in. Rope with lift capacity as close to 25K as I can. I have told him need to stay with size of rope that truck has. I’m not installing this. Just wants me to get him rope.

Replies6
  1. #1redneckracin2018-09-23 21:39

    Am steel blue. I have some inch and an eighth or inch and a quarter and iirc it's rated around 100,000lbs. No that's not a typo. 100k. Just be aware that the rope doesn't like sharp edges.

  2. #2td25c2018-09-23 21:57

    Our power company uses that style rope on the digger derrick trucks . 100K rating on a strait line pull …… 500 pound rating if the load has sharp edges

  3. #3crane operator2018-09-24 20:26

    Can he multipart the line? I doubt the winch will pull 25k on a single line, it will stall out the winch before it gets to 25k. Plus I don't think I want to be trying to set whatever he hooked on to at 25,000 with a single line, when he cables down, its going to come fast fast fast. There is always a way listed in the manual to get to the 25k if it is rated for that. It may show a snatch block and another tie off point. Some cranes require extra boom sheaves to be mounted to reach max cap. Unfortunately, the working radius with 25k is probably 5'. Unless its a transformer, which are really heavy but not very big, most items that weigh 25k, he's going to be further than 5' away from. 25,000lbs is a pretty good lift in my 25 ton crane. He'll never pick 25,000 off a trailer and set it on the ground. Unless he's wayyyy over. Even if its a transformer, unless its sitting on the back bumper of whatever delivers it, he's not going to get it picked up. He wouldn't be able to get much rope on the drum either at 1 1/4" diameter, and the bottom swage point on the bottom of the drum probably won't accept that kind of diameter either. 3/4" might fit. Remember too, the lift rating for running lines has to have a safety factor. The 100,000 may be a breaking strength, not a lifting rating. Some use a 5 to 1 safety factor in running lines, when using rotation resistant steel cable, 3.5 is minimum. So that 100,000k can become 20,000lbs when you hook it on a crane. The chart I found for amsteel blue shows 3/4" at a min breaking of 58,000lbs. Five to one is 11,600. 3.5 is 16,571lbs. I guess I just don't see any way that the winch pulls the 25k in a single line. In the thicker rope, he'll be losing some gearing too if he's up very far in the drum, the best would be if he just put on the minimum amount of rope so he's in the bottom layer on the drum (but keeping 3 wraps on it). If he gets up any layers, it will loose capacity. My 3/4" steel cable on a hydraulic winch will lose around 1,500 lbs of capacity for every layer of cable on the drum. I have a old tulsa mechanical worm drive winch that will pull 25,000, but none of my crane hydraulic winches will pull that much. Honest answer, I wouldn't want to unload 25,000 with any line truck I've been around. Tell him if he's smart enough to run the truck, he should be smart enough to order whatever he wants. He just wants you to order it, so when it doesn't work, he can point a finger at you. Personally I wouldn't want any part of it.

  4. #4Moonlite2018-09-24 23:31

    This is what I’m asking about. Just cause the truck is rated for 25K don’t mean he can lift it. I think he should stay with same as truck is equipped with.

  5. #5Moonlite2018-09-24 23:34

    I think I am gonna stay away from this one. Talked guys at Terex while getting some other parts. They told me that most likely truck came with 6K working load.

  6. #6Moonlite2018-09-30 11:29

    As far as being smart enough to run truck I’m not sure about that. Lol cause if he runs it like he does a forklift I don’t want to be around. I’ve been around him operating a forklift. He is dangerous.