Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some help…

Americansteel65 ยท 2020-09-10 14:06

I just saved another old workhorse from the scrap yard demise. It's a P&H 255ATC serial # 16021. Anyone have a way of dating this unit? I have not been able to find much on serial number to dates on the older P&H cranes. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated...She needs alot of TLC but I just did not have the heart to let her become scrap. Thanks...Joe

Replies7
  1. #1DMiller2020-09-10 15:27

    1960s to early 70s, doubt anyone has a date catalog to s/n on these. May want to locate the engine data tag, may have a build date on it.

  2. #2Delmer2020-09-10 17:13

    Any tail lights or turn signal lenses with a date on them? that date might be the best one you'll get.

  3. #3Americansteel652020-09-10 19:04

    Thank you both...great ideas both of them. The upper crane motor is the Waukesha 6MZA and from I can see of the carriers motor it appears to be a Cummins non turbo inline 6. I still have to jack up the cranes boom to gain full access to the carriers motor.

  4. #4Raildudes dad2020-09-11 20:37

    If it has a FWD carrier, Seagraves in WI the fire truck builder has all the records. I owned a 1966bPH 215TC on an FWD carrier. Seagraves sold me a complete builders sheet/ book for the machine by it's serial #

  5. #5Americansteel652020-09-12 10:14

    Thanks for the info..I'm assuming there would be another serial number for the carrier?...I have the serial number for the upper crane unit but have not yet located the carriers number

  6. #6DMiller2020-09-12 12:12

    Used to ID Tag them inside the Cabs, no telling if still exists.

  7. #7Raildudes dad2020-09-12 14:16

    I used the big serial number on the crane, that's the P&H serial #. I can't remember it, 22xxx or 27xxx so yours would be quite a bit earlier.