I just bought a 95 Ford L8000 TA dump The truck is located in NC and I'm in Louisiana, transportation quote was 2600, thinking I can go pick it up for a lot less. Plan on trailering it. Pulling with a F-350 & 30' gooseneck. Guess my main questions are , what is the width of the truck, outside to outside of tires......making sure it fits on my trailer. And weight, it has a 16'x8'x48" dump body I don't have a CDL or I would chance driving it back......I bought it for mainly building a pond and other things on my property Thanks for any help or advice Tom
I don't know what the dry weight of the Ford tandem is or the truck and trailer you are pulling it with but I think you will be over the CDL limit on your rig - Dump+trailer+F350= more than 26K lbs combined weight. There are several threads on here that discuss the CDL rules in detail. . The short of it is, if your total rig is over 26K LBS you will need a CDL.
That truck will probably weigh around 18-22k pounds
:iagree Your right on the money weight wise mitch......lucky guess?
You're not the only one on here who is old, and has owned many trucks for many years.... I'm just not really, really old.
thanks guys, we'll see how it goes I haul my D31 dozer between Mississippi and Louisiana all the time with no problems......as far as being stopped and all that stuff
Your going to be over on weight on your GCVW. I don't see you having any problem pulling it as long as you do your math which it sounds like you will when it comes to starting and stopping. A D31 is alot liter then the truck. What year truck do you have??
Yeah I realize I'll be pushing the gross I have a 99 f350 drw I've put 19.5's all the way around for the higher capacity and better stability
well in an effort to save 2000 in the transportation cost, it ended up costing me about 54000 but I did end up with a new f-450 :tong the white 350 is what I started off the journey driving, had a few issues....finally resolved them, main culprit was crap in the tank clogging up the fuel pick up screens must say, love the new 450, pulled it with no problems I guess it was quite the site for most, had many pictures being taken as we rolled down the interstate
And for $500 bucks and a case of beer + fuel a buddy would have drove it down, but thats cool cause you have a shiny, black f-450 now too!
How was it stopping with the 450 and all that weight behind you?
the trailer is electric over hydraulic. I took it real easy at first leaving more than ample room for stopping till I was real certain on stopping distances. When I first thought about hauling the dump truck back myself, an accident from having to make a sudden stop or something along that line scared me the most. The 450 in tow/haul mode would really slow it down and with the addition of the electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer, stopping was no issue what so ever. The 450's built in brake controller did take me a few minutes to adjust to over the 350's. The 450's was more progressive than the one I had put on my 350. On a side note I averaged 6.8 mph on the haul back from North Carolina at an average of 69 mph. I guess it's not bad considering that thing was like a big air brake sticking up there and I'm guessing 25000 lbs between the trailer and dump truck. Thought for sure I would get stopped at least once by one states troopers saw plenty of em in NC, SC and Georgia, though I did kinda plan it to be coming back on a Sunday, all the weight stations happen to be closed also
You averaged 69 mph . Holly **** . You are braver than me . What speed did you have that thing up to ?
that average was actual travel, not stops kept the speed between 65 and 73 mph depending on conditions
If you were not using the truck commercially, but for your own use, could you drive it without a CDL? Think Gramps in the motor home. Same would go for apportionated plates. An friend of mine said if you work commercially there is a federal law that allows you to go into an adjoining state without apportioned plates up to 10 miles. Anybody ever heard of this law?
I know the coppers sit right over the line trying to nab line crosseres here in pa