I have spent the last few years ditching around the farm, and have left the spoils piled beside the ditch. The plan is to move the spoils into the nearest low spot and level it. A quick estimate is 2000 yds of settled dirt in windrows, has to be moved and leveled about 200' on average. Time is not a huge issue, so if it takes a month that's fine. But i want it done in a month. What size dozer should i rent? Thanks, Ken
Moving it 200 ft? You might consider a Wheel loader if the ground is decent or a large track loader if not. Once the soil is moved a small Dozer can level it.
look at this thread... these little dumpers have low ground pressure.... plus you could load it with your 257... and grade the pile later with the 257... pushing all that dirt with a dozer would tear up all the ground from here to there
Rent the biggest one can - one large will have moved more mat. than to small to medium at the end of the day If a scrapper was available and site permitted that would probable end being both cheaper and quicker Otherwise as said loader
Rule of thumb we have gone by in a dirt job is anything over 500ft it is cheaper to haul. This is considering a dozer in size of a D8 or bigger. If it were me I'd rent a D6 and get it done in 2-3 days. Thats assuming you work a 10 hour day. I can't remember how much a D6 is to rent but i'd huess 1200-1500 a day?
Why not skip it with your JCB 215?
I did a job this week and moved 46 bcy (bank cubic yards) of clay/common earth an hour with my 850e case and pushed right at 200 feet. If that had been LCY (loose cubic yards) I could have pushed alot more. It sounds like if you rent a 100hp 6 way blade and you can operate in a 80% or higher efficiancy, be done in a week, about 1500 a week here rent. (this included cutting, pushing and leveling within 4 inches)
I could move it with the 215, if it stopped raining for a minute. We have had 5x the normal rain amount of rain from May1 till now(according to the newspaper) I can rent a D37ex for 3800/month from a local rental house. Its about the same size as your 850. Plus i can likely find a few other things to do with it. Thanks for the advice, Ken
google "seabee planners and estimators handbook " look at page 58 (maybe 48) dozer production and it will help.
Thats fantastic. Thanks a ton