I'm working through several recent issues with this machine since it's been sitting for 5 years. The recent thing is the 4 hoses that go from under the hoe attachment up through the boom casting. One is leaking but if I can figure out how to get to the fittings I'm going to replace all 4. The fittings are inside that casting. It looks like I need to remove the boom from its base to get to them. Please tell me this isn't necessary. Any help is appreciated. On a better note, I did manage to get the stump dug out and only leaked 2.5 gallons of oil doing it. I reckon that's one way to flush the system.
Some pictures of whatever it is you're working on might help. Some sort of backhoe I assume since you posted in the TLB board, name brand or an odd ball Chinese import ? Joe H
Oh yeah sorry. It's a Case 480c. TLB. I'm not at home at the moment so I'll get some tonight. I did look through the service manual and didn't see anything about it. I only saw a hydraulics diagram.
maybe a crows foot wrench and a extension
These are the hose I'm talking about. I'll have to get a crows foot that size. I'm pretty sure I don't have one that big.
Buy an 1.25" open end wrench and make one. You can stick something threw the open end to give you more purchase power. The 1.25" is a quess may be different but that's how I did mine yrs. ago.
Kinda of what I did with my Clark BL-700 TLB with a blown hose inside the boom. Purchased an open/box wrench, bent it to the shape needed and used a slice wheel on the box end to open it up just enough to slip over the hose and onto the fitting. A square bar shoved in the open end and pipe wrench, (in this case) made busting that tight SOB loose a lot easier. Hose was blown at a flexible to rigid line connection inside the boom and no way to get right at it without disassembly of the dipper and crowd arms.
Good tips. I'll see what I can do. Can't really see inside there. TBH I haven't had a chance to look at it real close today, at work right now. I'll get it extended tomorrow and see just how much room there is. After studying those pics for a bit, I see there are a couple of through holes with bolts in them. I wonder if that's an assembly that holds that hose group and can be unbolted and stretched out far enough to access those fittings. If so, I doubt those hoses will straighten very easily. Might have to get a cable jack on it and pull them straight . . I'll have to check that out. Didn't notice that before. Ive tried the box end wrench trick on other things and didn't have much luck. It just spread apart and started rounding the hex head. Maybe I should have used a better quality wrench.
That is what worked for me as there wasn't enough clearance between the fitting and the inner side of the boom sidewall to get the full depth of the open end to slip onto the flats of the fitting.
I edited the thread title to include the machine type. I think that's what you have there. You're on the right track. The pic below is from Case's parts catalog. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...56875BD6/A7CF6496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6 I circled the "manifold", and drew an arrow to the place the hoses attach at the valve body. You might need a crow's foot to get those loose back there though. Edited to add: That had me a little confused. Looking at your pictures, what you referred to as the boom casting is actually the "swing tower."
Oh yeh that pic helps a lot. I'll see if I can just pull that out far enough to get to those hose ends. Lol yeh I'm not really up to speed on what all this stuff is called a I'm just winging it.