Okay so I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about a 2008 john deere 310j not starting sometimes. Now it won't start at all and it's stuck on a job and john deere field tech wants literally thousands to come out for the day so I'm going to try everything in my power first. It had 6 stored codes 636.08 636.10 97.16 746.07 97.03 525.12 So I was running it a year or 2 ago and the only code that ever came up active with me was the 636s. It's a cam sensor short or somthing. So if anyone knows anything about these engines or what it could be I'd really appreciate it! Also any links to diagrams would be great. Thank you
Not saying it's the same issue but check your fuse panel for blown fuses. I have a 5420 JD tractor and they have a sensor that goes our pretty commonly and it blows the fuse. That makes it not start at all. Worth a shot.
I'll take a look tomorrow. Do you have any idea where the fuses are on a 310j? I don't think it's a fuse because it's been have this problem for a while on and off but definitely worth a look for sure
I replaced mine on my own after a guy I know told me to check. He said they all act different and can go out slowly or all at once. Mine went out all at once. Just cranking without a single hit. He said replace the bad fuse and if it blows again, replace the sensor. I did that and it fired right up with a new sensor. No issues since. Mine is pre emmisions too. I went out and took a pic for you. Fuse panel on my tractor id below the steering column near the floor. I'm pointing to the sensor. It was above the injector pump and the hose connection to the upper radiator. If memory serves it had something to do with keeping it from knocking so bad when cold. He told me they have a lot of them go out and some new ones don't last long.
Thanks for going out and taking those photos. Just to be clear which sensor are you pointing to? I'm picking up a cam and crank sensor from John deere tomorrow it's only $50 per sensor so figured I'll change those too
I believe it's the water temp type sensor. Seems like he said it changes something in the timing? when cold to make it easier(less knock) on the engine. If it goes bad, it doesn't allow fuel to flow. I went online and found it. Number 2 is what I replaced.
Oh okay I wouldn't have thought in a million year that would affect starting. I'll check everything tomorrow and I'll change the cam if that doesn't work I'll try that sensor you changed. I hate go call a tech out if it's only a 50 dollar sensor
I wouldn't have either. this is a pretty low hour tractor and been well taken care of before I even had it. He knew right away what it was as I stated before, he said it was a VERY common issue. This IS an actual Deere diesel and not a offshore brand.
Kevin, excellent advice. That is a very common issue on the tractors like yours. Will blow the ignition switch fuse. Actually you do not have to replace it immediately, simply unplug and replace the fuse. Now, Johndeere120s 310J is apparently a common rail, (computerized) engine, so the timing advance is carried out by the ecu, and it will not have that sensor.
That's interesting i got the 4045 in mine so it must be very similar!
That's interesting I was thinking I don't recall seeing that sensor on mine but I couldn't remember it's been a very solid machine I only lift the hood to check/change the oil never had anything go wrong until now. Being its the common rail perhaps the cam sensor will fix it? I'm definitely going to check fuses tomorrow too in case. It's so frustrating I got some older equipment too and I'll tell you those all mechanical diesels are so unbelievably trouble free these computers are beyond frustrating for the average joe who doesn't have access and knowledge to all the new software and sensors.....
Yup, definitely check fuses first, also simple physical check of wire, plugs, etc. So often we get wrapped up in manuals, diagnostics, etc. And in the end it's like, duh, I could've found that. . Also can you clear all codes and see what comes back?
I cleared codes today but there was no active codes. Only stored. I took photos of the stored one and reset everything. Luckily it seems even though these have a computer they don't seem terribly complex like the tier 4 are much worse
Fuel supply. Make sure the lift pump works, filters are NEW,. 2 of the codes are for water in fuel. Likley old but. .
Do they have a lift pump? Like I said I really havnt looked much at the engine since nothing ever went wrong but I thought they did away with lift pumps? I'll have to check I'm going there in a few hours.
Hey guys just wanted to write this here in case anyone in the future has this problem it might help them. I got there this morning tried it again and nothing. So I checked every fuse they were good. I changed the cam sensor behind the injection pump and it fired right up. That thing is pretty tight back there and was hard to change the way it was parked the loader arms were right in the way but anyway that was the problem. Thank you guys for helping out and taking your time!
Buy yourself lunch since you don't have a mechanic bill to pay. LOL
Lol I thought the same thing. Done early today gonna buy a big lunch and relax john deere was going to be around 3k minimum sensor was 55 after tax