Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Needing a 4-5 yard loader

Snipe ยท 2015-11-01 19:57

I am looking for a loader for a new gravel business to load truck and move material around pit. I don't have a lot of cash so what would a good start up loader be? Are there any brands out there to stay away from? How many hours are to many? Looking for a 4-5 yard machine. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Oxbow2015-11-01 20:01

    I would look closely at what dealers best support your area. Paying more up front may be much less expensive in the long run if you cannot load trucks for a week waiting for parts.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-11-01 22:39

    CAT 980C mebbe, or Komatsu WA450 or 500. At the low end of the price range it's all about the maintenance, seen 30,000 hour machines with near new major components all around because they came out of production fleets, or 10,000 hour scrap from contractors.... gotta shop around and really give one a going over before you pull the trigger. I would say stay away from anything but major brands just due to the dealer support and used part availability.

  3. #3Snipe2015-11-02 06:53

    There is only Cat Deere and Case dealers 60 miles away 200 miles for everything else. I also have a backhoe that would work if I got in a pinch. Is there any brands to avoid I see lots of offshore stuff listed.

  4. #4grandpa2015-11-02 07:28

    If you can find a good 966C, those things are bulletproof. I own 4 and they all work everyday.

  5. #5Snipe2015-11-18 20:19

    I found a not to bad shape 921 case. Are they any good?

  6. #69662015-11-18 21:34

    This is true I have seen a 40 year old 966 C work side beside with a new 95 H loader and after 1 week the new loader broke down and the old 1980 966C never missed a beat!

  7. #7Snipe2015-11-18 22:26

    I see there is some 966c loaders on auction tomorrow in Prince George. Do you know anything about them?

  8. #8lantraxco2015-11-19 03:42

    I wouldn't touch a case loader with a 3 meter pole, but that's just me.

  9. #9RonG2015-11-19 05:07

    I ran and plowed with a W20 for several years and it was a robust machine with a Cummins in it but dang....... whoever settled on that configuration of articulation...it is like noone in the engineering dept. ever ran a loader before.Case and Hough and you wouldn't think that International would miss the boat on something like that but you never get used to running them.The way they are configured there is no advantage to the articulating design over the straight frame that they replaced,you have to travel just as far from the stockpile to the truck etc.What makes it even worse is having stick time in a conventional loader and know what they can do. International invented the rubber tired loader too.......yup.....they were the first. Ron G

  10. #10kshansen2015-11-19 07:42

    If there is a "weak" point to the 966C's it would be the bucket linkage. But if kept lubed lasts a long time. One good thing about them is a nice simple straight air brake system! Plus one of the easiest engine to work on. Even the transmission is easy to work on once out of the frame.

  11. #11pp13bnos2015-11-19 09:10

    One thing you should be aware of on Komastu loaders, some fittings have a Komatsu thread pitch. Not a deal breaker but annoying. Parts seem expensive compared to Cat too. Don't get me wrong, the Wa450 has been a great loader once I got some bugs worked out. CJ