Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NEEDING MANUALS FOR BADGER CRUZ-AIR 1085D WHEELED EXCAVATOR.

DAVEWHEAT · 2026-02-05 13:11

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A BADGER CRUZ-AIR 1086D WHEELED EXCAVATOR. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY MANUALS FOR THE 1085D, BUT LOTS OF THEM FOR A 1085C. THE MACHINES LOOK THE SAME, BUT THE CONTROLS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. ANYTIME I TRY TO FIND ASNY MANUALS, THE 1085C COMES UP. ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND ANY 1085D MANUALS?

Replies15
  1. #1DDoug2026-02-05 14:11

    Might want to click the "caps lock" button off......

  2. #2DAVEWHEAT2026-02-05 19:51

    I CAN TELL YOU WERE NEVER IN THE MILITARY, WHERE EVERYTHING WAS IN UPPERCASE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY USEFUL INFORMATION, KEEP SCROLLING INSTEAD OF REPLYING WITH USELESS INFO.

  3. #3Nige2026-02-05 20:04

    Please be advised that on this forum writing in all caps is considered the same as shouting. You may not have been aware of that before, but now you are.

  4. #4cuttin edge2026-02-05 20:08
  5. #5Jrod2026-02-05 21:14

    https://www.grouser.com/find-a-manual/?utm_source=chatgpt.com https://www.libfeed.com/downloads/c...-parts-catalog-manual/?utm_source=chatgpt.com https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail...cavator-service-repair?utm_source=chatgpt.com https://www.ebay.com/itm/376665021439?utm_source=chatgpt.com https://www.libfeed.com/downloads/c...-parts-catalog-manual/?utm_source=chatgpt.com https://the-best-manuals-online.com...service-repair-manual/?utm_source=chatgpt.com I have no issues with a man 'Yelling' for HELP ! : )

  6. #6Shimmy12026-02-06 08:38

    Heavy Equipment Forums Rules and Posting Guidelines Heavy Equipment Forums Membership Rules and Guidelines Site Objective It is the intent of this site’s administration to offer professionals of the heavy equipment industry a forum and a comfortable enjoyable environment in which to exchange ideas, questions, answers and comments regarding... HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7DDoug2026-02-06 09:31

    Questioning my service is not really a reason eh ? Rather it is dis-respect, please see above. I also use all caps, when making notes on drawings, it's a standard. But not here.

  8. #8LACHAU2026-02-07 05:13

    Hello, The reason you see the 1085C (from CASE) and 1085D (from Badger) models as identical is because they belong to the same product line, and there was a transfer of technology ownership between the two companies. In fact, Badger was the company that took over and continued producing this line of excavators after CASE ceased development. Below is the specific context of this connection: 1. The Origin of the "Cruz-Air" (Wheel-Terrain Excavator) This line of excavators was not originally created by CASE or Badger, but originated from Drott Manufacturing. Drott is famous for its "Cruz-Air" excavators, which have excellent rough-terrain capabilities. • Early Stage: CASE acquired Drott in 1968. After this acquisition, Drott excavators were renamed Case-Drott, and later CASE. • CASE 1085C Phase: Under the CASE brand, the Cruz-Air line flourished with popular models such as the 1085B and 1085C (commonly produced in the 1990s). 2. The Transfer to Badger Around the late 1990s and early 2000s, CASE decided to restructure its product portfolio and cease production of the Cruz-Air line to focus on other standard wheeled excavators. • Badger Acquisition: Badger Equipment Company (based in Minnesota, USA) acquired the design rights, technology, and the "Cruz-Air" brand from CASE. • The Introduction of the Badger 1085D: After the acquisition, Badger continued to produce this model based on CASE's old design, but upgraded it to a new version. That's why the 1085D version bears the Badger brand but has an appearance, chassis, and boom system that are almost identical to the earlier CASE 1085C. Summary of Basic Differences Although they look similar mechanically, these two models usually differ in some upgrades over time: • CASE 1085C: An older version (usually produced before 2000), using an older generation CASE/Cummins engine. • Badger 1085D: A successor version (usually produced from the early 2000s onwards), often equipped with a newer generation engine (e.g., Cummins Tier II or Tier III) to meet new emissions standards, and may have some minor improvements in the hydraulic system. Based on the technical data, we can summarize the most important parameters and how to obtain the correct replacement documentation for your job: 1. Most Important Documentation: Engine (The Biggest Difference) The biggest difference between the 1085C and 1085D lies in the engine. • Model 1085C: Uses a CASE engine. • Model 1085D: Most models use the Cummins 6BT5.9 (Turbocharged) engine. Advice: Instead of searching for "Badger 1085D excavator manual" (which is very difficult to find), look for the repair manual for the Cummins 6BT5.9 engine. This is an extremely popular engine model, and the documentation is readily available. It will help you address the "heart" of the machine in your work. 2. Key Specifications of the Badger 1085D You can use these specifications to compare with the 1085C: • Engine: Cummins 6BT 5.9 (approximately 133 HP - 160 HP depending on Tier II/III model). • Operating weight: Approximately 42,980 lbs (~19.5 tons). • Travel dimensions: Length ~10.6m (34'9") x Width ~2.6m (8'6") x Height ~3.55m (11'8"). • Hydraulic system: Retains the characteristic "Cruz-Air" design of the C series, so the hydraulic schematic of the 1085C you have is still highly valuable for reference for the boom and travel sections, differing only in the main pump installed on the Cummins engine. 3. Sources for original documentation If you absolutely need the original Badger 1085D Parts Manual/Service Manual to look up parts codes, you have two options: • Contact the manufacturer: Badger is currently owned by Manitex International. You can email Manitex's technical support department (they usually have PDF files of these older models) or Badger Equipment, LLC ( https://www.badgerequipllc.com/ ) • Buy from eBay: I've seen some people selling Badger parts manuals on eBay. Ebay, but usually old paper copies. In short: With the 1085C documentation you already have + the Cummins 6BT5.9 engine documentation (easily found online), you already have about 90-95% of the necessary knowledge about this 1085D machine.

  9. #9DAVEWHEAT2026-02-15 13:11

    Thanks for your reply. The 1085C and 1085D look very similar, but the whole control panel and operations of the machine are completely different. All the pictures on the toggle controls on my machine are all worn off and have a different layout compared to the 1086C. The web link to Badger Equipment only handle mini excavators, and Manitex only deals in cranes and railroad equipment. I have spent several hours researching possible places to get some manuals, but no luck. JROD posted several sites to check, but none of them had anything for a 1085D. I have seen several other 1085D models for sale, but none of the sites have any manuals. Somebody surely has some manuals, but I don't know who.

  10. #10John C.2026-02-16 14:19

    You are working on an orphan machine and finding operation, parts and service manuals is going to be problematic at best and maybe not possible. I've been caught in this many times and have found that you in most cases have to reverse engineer your way through the situation using your experience and research skills. You may have to identify parts by visually inspecting them and finding alternate suppliers of similar parts. When you work with old and small manufacturers, that is the price you pay for the price you paid for the machine. The first dealer that I worked for handled Drott and we rebuilt them each winter for the State of Washington. Drott at that time was owned by Tenneco Corporation who also owned Case and Poclain. The Drott machines were very simple in design and the components they used. Nearly everything was off the shelf that could be sourced locally. Good Luck

  11. #11DAVEWHEAT2026-02-16 15:33

    I appreciate your response. It just seems unreal that there are several manuals available for the older 1085C models, but none for the newer version, the 1085D. I'm still looking.

  12. #12cuttin edge2026-02-16 15:59

    I see a set sold on Facebook for 1500. Too bad you could not find out who bought them, maybe get the information you need from them

  13. #13Jrod2026-02-16 23:25

    he Badger Cruz-Air wheeled excavators (including 1085/1086 series) are widely the same machines built by Case Construction Equipment , so manuals for Case 1086B Cruz-Air models are the closest match and usually work for operation, maintenance, parts, and service tasks. https://www.epcatalogue.com/product...manual-8-44630-english?utm_source=chatgpt.com

  14. #14old timer2026-02-21 10:38

    The Drott/Case/Badger basically came with 2 engines, Detroit 453's, and Cummins B series. ( Cummins B3,9 and B5.9 were re-badged as a Case engine) There were a few orphans, early Drott Yumbo's came with a Ford industrial gas and I have seen a 471 Detroit in a later Case 40/1086. I have never run across a Case manufactured engine installed in a Drott, but I wouldn't doubt there out there. The differences between a 1085C and D are rather extensive. Completely changed the valve bank and pilot control. the Center swivels (hydraulic and electrical) were improved. So engine information is no problem, the transmission information should be available, if you get the tag info off the valve bank info should be available. I would try and contact Badger directly, they may be able to help you out. I did that when i ran across a 1085D with a throttle problem, they gave me the contact info of the manufacturer. Hope this helps!

  15. #15DAVEWHEAT2026-03-05 11:30

    The 1085D I have had a problem with the throttle control. It was working by using baling wire to set the engine speed and wrapping it around a bracket to hold it. It worked, but not very convenient. The 1085C uses hydraulics to control the throttle, where the 1085D uses electronics to control the throttle. I got information off the controller for the accelerator, which I found was designed by Actus Manufacturing. I found their website with a 53 page manual for the system. It had a lot of information in it that gave me some guidance in troubleshooting the system. I also contacted them directly and got excellent advise and knowledge from the person I talked with. I found problems in the foot controller, wiring, and the parts on the engine. I was able to get the parts I needed and the knowledge I needed to make the system work as intended. Actus Manufacturing will help with any problems with throttle control on the 1085D. I would give them a 5 Star recommendation.