Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Needing some help! Komatsu D61 ex-12

illinoisboy ยท 2017-02-05 21:45

Hey guys, my tranny seems week all of a sudden. I thought maybe it had some mud dried, and packed into the rock guards, and uc.. etc. got it powerwashed, and it seems to still get hotter than usual. I was in mucky situations, but it still was running hotter tranny temp than I thought was normal. coolant temp never got warmer, just tranny. after putting in neutral and idling a few seconds it would cool back down pretty quick. no leaks that I see. fluids look good. it usually will push like crazy in second, but it went sluggish all in a day. third gear wouldn't even get up to speed. it would pull, but not faster than second gear... im going to clean around sprockets, rollers, again tomorrow, and make sure I didn't miss anything. would reduced engine power via dirty filters, etc, cause a tc to run hotter than normal? I was told it might have some adjustments that need made to the tranny periodically? it didn't come with any manuals, I need to get some. coolers are not blocked externally. like I mentioned, it seemed sudden. like something is dragging it down, or runnin reduced capacity..thanks all!

Replies3
  1. #1Cmark2017-02-05 21:50

    Put it on a slight slope in neutral and see if it will freewheel. If it won't, the brakes may be stuck on. It's a common problem for the needle bearings in the brake pedal shaft to rust up and seize.

  2. #2Shimmy12017-02-05 23:57

    Second this. Pull up on it to make sure it isn't sticking on.

  3. #3bam19682017-02-08 04:26

    I agree with Cmark and Shimmy. I number of years ago I bought a D65 EX-12 sight unseen. It was doing the same as you described. My brake pedal was sticking on a little. Mine was an OROPS machine so it was exposed to the elements. I remember the big sigh of relief when I discovered it was just the brake pedal sticking!!!